Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Manufacturing Process Development Engineer, Assembly Processes
Requisition ID: 8375190627
Ethicon Inc. is currently recruiting for a Senior Manufacturing Process Development Engineer to lead Assembly Process development and qualification activities for surgical instruments in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Ethicon offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, energy devices, clip appliers, and trocars - that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity.
Our team of engineers, designers, and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development (NPD) pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Development Engineering staff works with NPD teams and Suppliers to develop robust component designs and manufacturing processes that meet or exceed all product requirements at the lowest possible manufacturing cost. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the Ethicon Endo-Surgery business while also providing the opportunity for significant professional growth.
The Senior Engineer will:
- Lead assembly equipment and process development activities within New Product Development projects, supporting activities within the Ethicon Endo-Mechanical, Ethicon Robotics, or Ethicon Energy.
- Work with our Supply Base to deliver qualified assembly processes and equipment that meet established cost, quality, and performance requirements.
- Provide project planning, design support, process development knowledge, and qualification / validation / stabilization execution.
- Utilize their prior work experience, Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) techniques, Lean Six Sigma process knowledge, and the Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) tool to drive the product design to its most efficient outcome.
- Provide mentoring and guidance to less experienced development engineers.
- Have significant experience with several of the following assembly process and manufacturing technologies and concepts utilized by Ethicon’s suppliers: manual assembly, automated assembly, test development, automated vision inspection, laser welding, lean manufacturing, line balancing.
- A Bachelor’s degree with an Engineering focus is required.
- A minimum of (5) years of work experience in manufacturing process development or operations is required.
- Prior experience with manual and automated assembly manufacturing processes is required
- Application of statistical analysis techniques is required (Process Stability / Control / Capability methods, etc.)
- Design of Experiments (DOE) experience is preferred.
- Development and Application of gauging techniques and subsequent Measurement Systems Analyses (GR&R) is required.
- Prior experience in New Product Development, Project Management, and Risk Management experience is preferred.
- Experience within a medical device production environment or other regulated environment is preferred.
- Previous experience with Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) and Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) is preferred.
- Experience with process design and development/ build of manufacturing or assembly equipment is preferred.
- Experience with hardware/ software development in relation to manufacturing test systems is preferred.
- Prior experience managing assembly equipment development with an external equipment fabricator/ supplier
- Experience with vision inspection systems and sensors is preferred
- Experience with Process Excellence Six Sigma, Green Belt or Black Belt is preferred.
- Knowledge of GD&T (ASME Y14.5) is preferred.
- This position is located in Cincinnati, OH and may require up to 30% travel.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)