Johnson & Johnson Careers
Principal Scientist, Biochemistry
Spring House, Pennsylvania
Requisition ID: 8357180408
Janssen Research and Development, L.L.C., a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Scientist, HTS Assay Development, Screening to be located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The new Lead Discovery team is a critical part of the Discovery Sciences organization in Janssen R&D and is committed to the delivery of high quality chemical leads needed for the generation of small molecule clinical compounds in all five Janssen Therapeutic Area discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular pharmacology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners.
The Screening department within Lead Discovery is growing with both new positions and capital investment. The department is responsible for the delivery of small-molecule qualified hits for the initiation of hit-to-lead programs within the Therapeutic Areas. Major activities include assay development, screening, and pharmacological profiling. The Screening Team collaborates closely with Janssen Therapeutic Areas and functional teams, the Innovation Centers, and external collaborators in academia and industry. We seek individuals with a strong ability to connect key stake holders for the delivery of goals and objectives, fostering an environment of collaboration, collegiality and positive communication, and who show superior performance in the context of a multidisciplinary, geographically disperse team.
In this exciting role, you will:
- Lead the design and implementation of screening strategies that reflect the pharmacology to be modulated in subsequent hit-to-lead discovery programs.
- Provide scientific leadership to a team that develops biochemical assays that are suitable for automated high-throughput screening. A level of hands-on laboratory work is expected.
- Provide mentoring and career development leadership to direct reports and to others within the department as appropriate.
- Collaborate across multiple therapeutic and functional areas in the US, Europe and Asia.
- Develop innovative approaches to screening and hit triage.
- Attend in-house seminars and external scientific meetings as appropriate.
- Manage external collaborations.
- Publish research in high-quality journals as appropriate.
- A minimum of a PhD in biochemistry, biophysics, pharmacology or related areas is required
- Postdoctoral experience is preferred
- A minimum of 8 years of industry experience in biochemical assay development in an HTS or in vitro pharmacology group is required
- Expertise with assay development using biochemical methods is required
- Expertise with biochemical methods such as FP, HTRF, luminescence and SPA is preferred
- Fragment screening experience is preferred
- Hit triage experience is preferred
- Previous people management experience (supervising, coaching, mentoring) is required
- Publications in high-quality peer-reviewed journals are required
- Expertise in cardiovascular, immunology, infectious diseases, neuroscience or oncology therapeutic areas is preferred
- Experience working with and guiding external collaborators in industry or academia is preferred
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)