Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Electrical Design Engineer – R&D, Advanced Surgery (1 of 2)
Requisition ID: 7991180726
Ethicon, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Senior Electrical Design Engineer – R&D, Advanced Surgery, located in Cincinnati, OH.
The Ethicon Surgical Care business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, advanced energy, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. The Ethicon Surgical Care business combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery.
Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market enabling significant professional growth.
This position will involve leading Electrical Engineering Design activities on complex electro-mechanical surgical device and capital systems. Demonstrable communication skills, both written and oral as well as effective leadership are required. Responsibilities will include the following:
The Senior Electrical Design Engineer, Advanced Surgery
- Be responsible for the design of software and algorithms for a medical device as part of a New Product Development team and be involved in all phases of new product development from product concept through commercial launch (Define, Measure, Analyze, Design, Verify & Validate)
- Create and maintain embedded systems, develop, document, and verify algorithms that create desired tissue effects, and work within a configuration management process
- Work one-on-one with internal & external customer stakeholders (manufacturing, quality, marketing, packaging, labeling, regulatory, biocompatibility, surgeons, medical staff, etc.) to identify procedure and/or product opportunities and evaluate potential technical solutions. Interpret Voice of the Customer (VOC) to define technical design requirements.
- Perform detailed design analysis to achieve product design requirements and innovative design solutions (through product requirement management and risk management or FMEA).
- Participate in project management activities of developing & monitoring project plan, budget, contingency plans & work estimation.
- Require outstanding leadership capabilities with the innate talent to work in a cross-functional team environment. Key skills are effective team interpersonal skills, conflict analysis & resolution, ability to adapt to shifting priorities, ability to handle rapid pace environment, ability to resolve problems / conflicts, and ability to take initiative & be self-managing.
- Mentor junior level engineers
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, or a related science/engineering degree, is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience designing, developing, and launching products in a team-based environment is required.
- Experience with electrical schematics, PCB layout, and derating (worst case) analysis is required.
- Strong electrical design, analysis, and simulation skills – analog or digital (FPGA, ASIC, etc.) is required.
- Experience developing systems within a configuration management process and the ability to develop and utilize FMEA’s (Failure Modes & Effects Analysis) is required.
- Experience in product requirements and risk management (ability to translate high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact) is required.
- Strong understanding of design control; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation is required.
- Experience in building prototypes, products, and systems for testing & experience developing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports is required.
- Demonstrated collaboration and teaming skills to work with internal cross-functional partners and/or outside suppliers, contractors, or consultants, is required.
- Demonstrated track record of design tradeoff decisions, ability to resolve problems and/or conflicts, ability to adapt to shifting priorities, and ability to take initiative & be self-managing is required.
- Demonstrated experience with RF Surgical System Design & Development is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with Ultrasonic Surgical System Design & Development is preferred.
- A history of software development and experience developing, documenting, and verifying algorithms that create desired effects is preferred.
- Demonstrated track record as leader of design teams with a significant role in project management of design activities is preferred.
- Experience with medical regulatory requirements or other regulated industry experience is highly desirable.
- Six Sigma green/black belt certification and statistical analysis skills is preferred.
- This position is located in Cincinnati, OH and will require up to 10% travel.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)