Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Sustaining Engineer (Energy) (1 of 2)
Requisition ID: 7934190220
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, is currently recruiting for a Senior Sustaining Engineer (Energy) be based in Cincinnati, Ohio. This position may require up to 50% travel depending on business needs.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Sustaining Engineer executes specific & general assignments/projects that provide innovative, functional, cost effective & validated product designs in a team-based environment.
- Apply knowledge of general engineering principles, materials, DFMA & reliability to achieve product design requirements.
- Work one-on-one with customer stakeholders to identify procedure and/or product opportunities and evaluate potential technical solutions.
- Interpret customer & marketing input to define technical design requirements and maintain idea notebooks.
- Utilize QFD (quality function & deployment) JOC (jobs, outcomes & constraints), VOC (voice of customer) methodologies & surgical procedure knowledge to define product & design options.
- Provide innovative product, system & component design solutions.
- Perform detailed design analysis & provide input or approval for detailed design specifications.
- Establish appropriate testing strategy to insure adequate safety factors or margins.
- Perform product testing to insure adequate safety factors or margins.
- Formalize concepts, breadboards & prototyping. Provide support to patent attorneys for patent filing.
- Consult with materials technology group for biomaterial approvals.
- Assist in developing & monitoring project plan, budget, contingency plans & work estimation.
- Coordinate integration of complex sub-system product designs.
- Provide technical leadership to product development team.
- Learn medical terminology, procedures & instrumentation.
- Develop free-body diagrams, calculate stress & strain values, and formulate tolerance stack-ups.
- Develop error budget analyses of electromagnetic & electromechanical systems.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned & not all responsibilities listed may be assigned.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering is required (Mechanical Engineering preferred), an Advanced Degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant Engineering experience is required.
- A minimum of 2 mechanical product design experience is required.
- Experience with CAD/CAM and design analysis software, and Statistical analysis techniques is required.
- Experience in a FDA-regulated environment is highly preferred.
- Experience with general design engineering and DFMA principles, component manufacturing processes, tooling methodologies, material properties, and regulatory compliance preferred.
- This role will also requires demonstrated technical leadership capabilities with experience working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Experience working with Vendors and Suppliers is an asset.
- Experience working with medical device regulatory requirements is an asset for this role.
- Technical writing experience is required. Experience writing protocols, testing results, procedures, status & special reports is preferred.
- Project management experience is an asset.
- Experience working with medical regulations & their impact on business, ISO (International Organization for Standardization) & GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) is preferred.
- Information & risk analysis skills are preferred.
- Experience with Quality, statistical process controls and part manufacturing processes & tooling methodologies are assets.
- Effective team interpersonal skills and conflict analysis & resolution skills required.
- Negotiating (e.g., internal & external customers), networking, ability to adapt to shifting priorities, ability to handle rapid pace environment will all be expected in this role will be required.
- Experience with the following is a plus: General design engineering principles, Design of experiments (DOE), DFMA (design for manufacturing and assembly) principles, Patent interpretation, Mechanical testing): Free-body & stress-strain analysis is an asset & FEA (finite element analysis), Geometric tolerance & tolerance stack-up analysis (GD&T), Gage repeatability & re-calibration system & methodology.
- Experience with Plastic resins, ferrous & nonferrous metals, adhesives & sealants is preferred.
- This position will be based in Cincinnati, OH and may require up to 50% travel depending on business needs.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)