Ethicon is recruiting for a Principal Design Engineer, Advanced Imaging R&D, located in Cincinnati, Ohio or Santa Clara, California.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Principal Design Engineer is a key team member for our Advanced Imaging pipeline, leading and conducting a wide range of assignments in collaboration with the team. This represents an excellent opportunity if you are excited by building transformational surgical capabilities and working in a multi-functional environment!
- Lead and influence internal R&D and multi-functional teams in partnership with external technology companies to execute product development efforts in laparoscopic visualization and advanced imaging products and concepts.
- Serve as a lead engineer for product development and launch of multiple advanced imaging sub-system devices, including technical project management (design, development, and commercialization), ownership of the Design History File (DHF), and execution of relevant stage-gate new product development process deliverables.
- Collaborate with external product development partners to execute product development commitments, as well as external technology companies to integrate advanced imaging technologies into proprietary visualization platforms.
- Lead and support a high level of communications across a team as well as with Advanced Imaging leadership.
- Establish and maintain strong, positive relationships and collaborations across internal, external, and partner organizations.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
- Contribute to all aspects of design control activities throughout the product lifecycle.
A BS in an Engineering discipline is required (preferably Optical, Mechanical or Electrical) An MS is preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 10 years of product design and development experience in a regulated environment is required.
- Direct experience working across company and organizational boundaries, in many cases without direct authority, to build relationships, define mutual goals, manage risk, and collaborate to meet objectives.
- Proven experience establishing, working and partnering with, and managing external product development partners
- Strong design and analysis skills, including architecting entire devices with appropriate system and sub-system requirements.
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact.
- Excellent collaboration and teaming skills with multi-functional teams, including external design houses, manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), Design to Cost (DTC), and working with other team members and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations.
- Strong understand of design controls; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation.
- Experience as a lead engineer in all phases of designing, developing, and launching a medical device product.
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices, as well as the quality system and regulatory environment.
- Experience with minimally invasive surgical visualization instruments; in particular, laparoscopes.
- Experience and knowledge of biomedical optics principles and applications to developing photonics devices, including LED and laser diode illumination sources, CMOS image sensor-based cameras, optical systems, and fiber optic illuminators that include diffractive optical elements.
- The ability to develop and utilize appropriate mechanical design tools (e.g. 3D CAD models, FMEA’s, GD&T, tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE’s, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis) and optical design tools (Zemax, Code V).
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
North America-United States-California-Santa Clara
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)