Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Scientist, R&D Microbiology
Requisition ID: 7533180720
Ethicon US LLC, a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Scientist in the R&D Microbiology department, located in Somerville, NJ.
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies. Ethicon represents $3.5 Billion in sales across key surgical platforms (Energy, Endo Mechanical, Wound Closure and Biosurgicals). Specialties include support for treatment of bariatric, colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. The Ethicon business combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon-Endo Surgery was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
The Senior Scientist position will be responsible for experimental design, execution, analysis, lab support, and written documentation in a Medical Device research-based laboratory. The work will encompass exploratory, as well as GMP-compliant, research.
- Perform basic and applied research in the area of medical device microbiology, perform experiments to answer questions pertaining to biofilm formation and control on medical devices, antimicrobial resistance, and/or bacterial virulence and human microbiome
- Collaborate with internal Ethicon or J&J associates to further Ethicon’s capabilities in understanding and producing antimicrobial and anti-infective products
- Coordinate and collaborate with CROs and academic centers of excellence to enhance the capabilities of the laboratory with respect to experimental techniques and advanced technology, train lab associates on new or advanced techniques, and author/present manuscripts, posters, or other professional publications as appropriate
- This candidate will contribute to Ethicon’s intellectual property as appropriate and research, purchase, and install equipment as needed to further Ethicon’s research capabilities
- A Bachelor of Science in Microbiology or a related biological science with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in medical device, pharmaceutical, or consumer applied microbiology is required
- A Master of Science in Microbiology or biological Science with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in applied microbiology or a PhD in Microbiology or biological Science with a minimum of 1 year of experience in applied microbiology is preferred
- Training in environmental, clinical, or industrial microbiology is required
- Knowledge or experience in test method validation, industrial sterilization methods, controlled environments, or medical devices are preferred
- Willingness and ability to work in a project-driven, collaborative team setting in the medical device industry is required
- This position will be located in Somerville, NJ and may require up to 10% domestic and international travel
United States-New Jersey-Somerville
Ethicon Inc. (6045)