Ethicon is seeking a Senior Design Engineer, Surgical Robotics R&D to be located in Cincinnati, OH.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the Johnson & Johnson Digital Surgery and Robotic efforts. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Ethicon business in Cincinnati, OH offers a broad range of products, platforms, and technologies—including surgical staplers, advanced energy devices, clip appliers, and trocars. These innovations are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures in specialties which include: support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health, hernias, cancer, and obesity. The Cincinnati site was founded 25 years ago and has developed innovative devices which have driven revolutionary shifts in modern surgery and continues to lead the industry today.
This Senior Design Engineer, R&D, will work within the Surgical Robotics program to develop advanced instruments for the Digital Surgery Platform.
- The Design engineer will be part of a multi-functional team contributing to the definition, design, development, implementation and integration of novel surgical robotic instruments.
- They must collaborate effectively with internal and external partners to deliver novel surgical instruments to the market.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related science/engineering degree is required, an Advanced Degree is preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 5 years mechanical product design experience is required.
- Experience designing, developing, and launching medical products.
- Experience in a regulated environment is highly preferred.
- Strong mechanical design and analysis skills, including sub-system development and integration.
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact.
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices, as well as the quality system and regulatory environment.
- The ability to develop and utilize 3D CAD models, FMEA’s, GD&T, tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE’s, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis.
- Excellent collaboration and teaming skills to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), Design to Cost (DTC), and working with other team members and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations.
- Designing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
- Strong understanding of design control; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)