Johnson & Johnson Careers
Requisition ID: 7329180718
DePuy Synthes, a member of Johnson & Johnson’s Family of Companies is recruiting for a Senior Metallurgist who will be located in Warsaw, IN.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, cranio-maxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we have created one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today’s evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Senior Metallurgist is organized under Front End Research & Development within the Commercialized Technologies Group. As a metallurgist, the candidate’s primary goal will be to provide technical support to the product development, operations, and quality groups relating to materials and processes performed in the manufacture of medical products. Candidate must be knowledgeable of processes such as investment casting, forging, welding, sintering, heat treatments, HIP, passivation, machining, and finishing operations and possess a strong practical knowledge of the metallurgy of cobalt, titanium, and stainless steel alloys. Candidate should possess excellent problem-solving capabilities, be able to perform failure analysis, develop testing methodologies, execute materials characterization studies independently and interpret results with little supervision. Candidate will take the lead materials role in process validation efforts as needed.
The Senior Metallurgist will:
- Conduct and manage metallurgical projects in the evaluation and analysis of materials, technologies, and processes for use with orthopaedic products.
- Provide technical expertise to Product Development, Marketing, Manufacturing, and Quality.
- Become the primary contact to find effective solutions to manufacturing problems related to materials.
- Trouble-shoot manufacturing problems and execute materials characterization studies independently (ability to interpret results and implement solutions with little supervision).
- Conduct failure analysis investigations independently for orthopaedic implants and instruments.
- Perform analyses using SEM - EDS, optical microscopy, image analysis, metallography, NDI, or any method used to evaluate materials and processes.
- Use good laboratory practices to perform hands-on metallurgical lab evaluations.
- Assist in the evaluation and disposition of non-conforming materials for both internal manufacturing and external vendor issues.
- Write and maintain materials and processes specifications.
- Help design quality process validation programs as they pertain to materials and processes. Will be the materials representative in validation teams.
- Interface with personnel from operations, quality, product development, and research. Shall maintain good working relations and good communication with all.
- A minimum of Bachelor's degree in Materials Science, Engineering or Physics is required.
- A degree focused in Materials Science or Metallurgy is highly preferred
- An advanced graduate degree is preferred.
- One of the following combinations of education and experience is required: Bachelor’s degree with 4 years’ of relevant industry experience in a materials or metallurgical capacity; a Master’s degree with 2 years relevant industry experience in a materials or metallurgical capacity; or Ph.D. with one-year relevant experience.
- Prior experience with processes such as investment casting, forging, heat treating, sintering, HIP, powder metallurgy, MIM, and welding is preferred.
- Validation experience in highly regulated industry is a big plus.
- Knowledge of medical implant alloys such as cobalt, titanium, and stainless steel is desirable.
- Statistics knowledge and experience is a plus.
- Candidate should have superior communication and technical writing skills; and be comfortable making oral presentations.
- Ability to work independently in Metallurgical and Microscopy Lab is a plus
- Ability to develop interdependent partnering relationships is required.
- Experience using computer equipment and software, materials testing equipment, and equipment used for chemical and physical analysis is a plus.
- Demonstrated problem solving capabilities.
- Position will be located in Warsaw, IN and may require up to 10% travel depending on business needs.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)