Johnson & Johnson Careers
Principal Scientist, Expression Screening and Cell-line Development
Requisition ID: 7286180806
Janssen Research and Development, L.L.C., a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Scientist, Expression Screening and Cell-line Development to be located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Lead Discovery team is a critical part of the Discovery Sciences organization in Janssen R&D and is committed to the delivery of high quality chemical leads needed for the generation of small molecule clinical compounds in all five Janssen Therapeutic Area discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular pharmacology, screening and protein science coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners.
The Protein Science department within Lead Discovery is responsible for the delivery of high quality reagents (proteins and cell-lines) to enable assay development, HTS, pharmacological profiling and structural biology (X-ray crystallography and NMR). The global Small Molecule Protein Sciences team, based in Spring House, PA, USA and in Beerse, Belgium, collaborates closely with Janssen therapeutic areas and functional teams and with external collaborators in academia and industry. We seek individuals with a strong ability to connect with key stake holders for the delivery of goals and objectives, fostering an environment of collaboration, collegiality and positive communication, and who show superior performance in the context of a multidisciplinary, geographically disperse team.
- Provide scientific leadership to the high throughput expression screening and cell-line development team
- Responsible for providing timely expression screening results to the protein scientists and cell-lines for assay development and screening
- Explore and develop innovative approaches to protein and cell-line generation including evaluation of new technologies to increase the throughput or reduce timelines
- Responsible for the timely delivery of high-quality reagents to collaborators in Discovery Sciences and Janssen Therapeutic Areas
- Lead the design and implementation of protein production strategies that provide active proteins for use in assays and structural biology
- Contribute to other activities within Protein Sciences
- Join drug discovery project teams as a representative and point of contact for all reagent-related needs
- Have a strong preference for hands-on work in the laboratory
- Analyze, interpret, summarize and report experimental data
- Attend and present at internal and external scientific meetings as appropriate
- Work independently with limited supervision
- Collaborate across multiple therapeutic and functional areas in the US, Europe and Asia
- Manage external collaborations
- Publish research in high-quality journals as appropriate
- PhD in biochemistry, biophysics, cell biology, pharmacology or related areas is required
- Postdoctoral experience is required
- At least 8 years of industry experience in recombinant protein expression and production and cell-line generation is required
- Demonstrated expertise in the field of cell line development and/or synthetic biology.
- Experience and knowledge working with recombinant protein expression in mammalian, insect and E.coli cells is required
- At least 5 years of previous people management experience (supervising, coaching, mentoring) is required
- Experience with recombinant protein expression in yeast is preferred
- Expertise with assay methods such as FP, HTRF, luminescence and SPA is preferred
- Expertise with biophysical methods including SPR is preferred
- Publications in high-quality peer-reviewed journals are required
- Expertise in cardiovascular, immunology, infectious diseases, neuroscience or oncology therapeutic areas is preferred
- Experience working with and guiding external collaborators in industry or academia is preferred
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)