The Johnson & Johnson Innovation Centers, a part of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Director, Transactions to be based in South San Francisco, CA. Johnson & Johnson (J&J) is the world's most comprehensive and broad-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the pharmaceutical, consumer health and medical device markets.
The more than 260 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employ over 134,000 people worldwide. As part of the Johnson & Johnson’s Global External Innovation organization, Johnson & Johnson Innovation (JJI) has established Innovation Centers (ICs) in San Francisco/California, Cambridge/Boston, London, , and Shanghai (www.jnjinnovation.com). The ICs constitute a platform from which Johnson & Johnson identifies, catalyzes, contributes to, and accesses the most promising medical innovations at groundbreaking life sciences companies and universities across the globe. J&J’s goal is to build a pipeline of innovative technologies, products and solutions that will benefit patients and consumers and will augment long-term corporate growth. Operating within major hubs of innovation allows J&J the opportunity to access technologies earlier and to help translate them into products for patients by contributing financial, intellectual, and human capital. The leading diversified healthcare company in the world, J&J seeks external innovation across a broad range of sectors, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer healthcare, vision care, diagnostics, and digital health.
The Director, Transactions will join the Transactions team in California reporting to the VP of Transactions, and be part of the Johnson & Johnson Innovation Center, West North American located in South San Francisco. As a member of the transactions team, your main responsibility is to lead the end-to-end transaction process, deliver timely and highest quality transaction leadership, structure and negotiate collaboration and license agreements, and drive the internal approval process – with the ultimately goal of on-boarding groundbreaking innovation into J&J’s four business sectors. You will collaborate closely with members from the scientific, finance, legal and venture capital teams to evaluate external opportunities, manage the due diligence process, develop business cases, and ensure close alignment with internal stakeholders across businesses and therapeutic areas to secure new opportunities in line with the strategy. The candidate will also be involved in developing close relationships with external sources of innovation including entrepreneurs, academics, KOLs, biotech companies and VCs.
CULTURE: In order to support our mission, we expect the successful applicant to:
- Proactively collaborate with the healthcare community in the Bay Area to develop strong, positive relationships with innovators in the innovation ecosystem;
- Collaborate with internal Innovation Center colleagues and key J&J business stakeholders and potential external partners to structure, negotiate and execute transactions using a collaborative, win-win approach;
- Bring a high level of creativity and integrity to the deal process;
- Help establish and maintain a positive, high-energy and fun working environment;
- Have strong self-motivation and ability to work independently as well as in a highly collaborative environment; and
- Foster a proactive “can do” culture of shared responsibility where team members collaborate to solve problems.
- Have deep experience and understanding of the pharma and biotechnology industry. Medical device experience and understanding is a plus.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of deal structuring in pharma/biotech, including the interplay between cost, risk and value.
- Understand financial deal modeling. Have a sense of how different deal structures and features affect NPV, IRR and deal splits.
- Have extensive experience in negotiation, and a proven ability to negotiate fair deal terms at a fast pace while developing a collegial, collaborative relationship with potential partners.
- Be a strong communicator. In collaboration with scientific leads, develop and present business case analysis to key internal constituencies and senior management.
- Be comfortable working with and, at times, leading other team members including our scientific leads, legal, finance, marketing, and commercial teams to progress and complete transactions.
- Be comfortable operating in a dynamic, start-up like environment within a large, global healthcare company.
- Manage and drive all aspects of deal process to rapid and successful completion.
- Bachelor’s degree required; An advanced degree (MBA, JD or PhD) is preferred
- Minimum 5 years deal-making experience in pharma, biotech and/or medical device required
- Established deal sheet demonstrating a successful track record of negotiating and closing licensing and option deals required;
- Experience leading complex licensing and options deals is preferred
- Strong communication and relationship building skills
- Unfailing Integrity and record of Credo based behavior
- Ability to travel up to 30% of time required
- Outstanding collaborator as a member of a working team
- Outstanding strategic thinking and strong analytical capabilities
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-South San Francisco-
Johnson & Johnson Innovation LLC (6205)