DePuy Synthes is recruiting for a Principal Research & Development Engineer, Soft Tissue Repair, located in Raynham, MA.
DePuy Synthes, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, provides one of the most comprehensive orthopedics portfolios in the world. DePuy Synthes solutions, in specialties including joint reconstruction, trauma, craniomaxillofacial, spinal surgery and sports medicine, are designed to advance patient care while delivering clinical and economic value to health care systems worldwide. For more information, visit www.depuysynthes.com.
DePuy Synthes Mitek Sports Medicine, develops, manufactures and markets innovative solutions for a wide range of minimally invasive mobility therapies.
The Principal Research & Development Engineer will be responsible for the concept generation, design, development, verification, validation and manufacturing transfer of new and novel arthroscopic soft tissue repair systems. Individuals in this position will possess strong design capabilities and mechanical engineering knowledge. This individual will serve as a strong technical mentor and support the ideation and problem solving for all new products and coach teams to execute aggressively and predictably. This individual must possess a true passion for design, new product development and be a positive role model for the team.
In this role you will:
- Design and develop novel soft tissue repair systems to address pathologies such as a rotator cuff tear, shoulder instability, biceps tendon tear, ACL tear, meniscal tear, hip labral tear or cartilage defect.
- Collaborate with surgeons to evaluate design concepts, develop new products, and drive innovation.
- Be a strong technical mentor to other engineers.
- For the right candidate, potential to manage 1-2 direct reports.
- Develop deep market insights and clinical acumen for a given area or pathology.
- Understand, adhere to and optimize the NPD Process with a focus on quality.
- Play an active role in shaping portfolio strategy.
- Know and follow all laws and policies that apply to their job, and maintain the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and compliance at all times.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in engineering is required. Mechanical or Biomedical concentration is preferred.
- Master’s degree or PhD in engineering discipline is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of design and new product development experience is required.
- Design for Six Sigma Black Belt is preferred.
- Demonstrated success in designing and developing several new products in a regulated environment through commercialization is required.
- Experience designing new products that include complex mechanisms and a variety of materials, such as titanium, stainless steel, aluminum, injection molded polymers, extruded polymers and textiles is required.
- Experience mentoring and developing technical staff is required.
- Demonstrated exceptional technical problem-solving ability is required.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills are required.
- Ability to work with cadaver specimens in a lab and observe surgical cases in an operating room is required.
- Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Project, Work, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Outlook, SharePoint) is required.
- Experience within medical device industry is strongly preferred.
- Experience designing implantable medical devices and deep knowledge of implantable grade materials is preferred.
- Clinical acumen in Sports Medicine procedures (arthroscopy) is preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in CREO CAD Platform, finite element analysis and complex tolerance analysis is preferred.
- The ability to review and critically assess patents and other forms of intellectual property is preferred.
- This position is in Raynham, MA and may require up to 15% travel including international.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
DePuy Synthes Products, Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)