Johnson & Johnson Careers
Director, Intellectual Property
Requisition ID: 6950181019
Ethicon Endo- Surgery, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is currently recruiting for a Director of Intellectual Property located in Somerville, NJ (preferred) or Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, advanced energy, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. The Ethicon business combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today. The Cardiovascular & Specialty Solutions (CSS) Group, part of the Medical Devices sector within Johnson & Johnson. The CSS Group consists of six diverse businesses including Acclarent, Advanced Sterilization Products (ASP), Biosense Webster (BWI), Codman Neurovascular, Mentor, and Sterilmed. The CSS Group serves a diverse base of customers in Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), Infection Prevention, Electrophysiology (EP), Neurovascular, Breast Aesthetics, and Reprocessing.
As the Director of Intellectual Property Strategy:
- You will support the innovation ambitions of the Ethicon and CSS Franchises.
- You will be responsible for leading a diverse, global team of talented Patent Liaisons.
- You will be responsible for shaping and developing intellectual property strategies to deliver on the Franchise innovation strategies. You will lead and coach the team in executing these strategies.
- You will work in close partnership with the Patent Attorney team and R&D to maximize IP strategic value to the business.
- You will create filing strategies, prosecution strategies, third party patent rights, and training on IP savviness for the broader organization.
- You will also be accountable for linking IP strategic ambitions to business planning and budgeting processes to maximize value creation.
- You will be accountable for creating tailored development plans and growth opportunities for the Patent Liaison team members, creating a pipeline of talent to fuel the future.
- A BS or a Master’s in a technical or science field, with a minimum of 10+ years of IP related experience required.
- Patent Agents having passed the US Patent Bar, preferred.
- Must be knowledgeable of the patent prosecution processes globally including USPTO and EPO is required.
- General knowledge of: Trade secrets, trademarks and copyrights is required.
- Regulatory compliance knowledge: GMP, MDR, 510K (Pre-market Notification). Preferred.
- Experience in an IP/business strategy arena utilizing the multiple disciplines of technology, business and patent expertise to achieve strategic business results is required.
- Proven ability to deliver in the areas of leadership and patent strategy is required.
- Proven ability to connect and manage global key stakeholders is required.
- Experience with developing diverse, geographically dispersed teams required.
- Travel up to 10% Domestic and International is required.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-New Jersey-Somerville-US Route 22 West
Ethicon Inc. (6045)