Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Sustaining Engineer
Requisition ID: 6897180713
The Cardiovascular & Specialty Solutions (CSS) Group, part of the Medical Devices sector within Johnson & Johnson, is recruiting for a Senior Sustaining Engineer aligned to Biosense Webster located in Irwindale, CA.
The CSS Group consists of six diverse businesses including Acclarent, Advanced Sterilization Products (ASP), Biosense Webster (BWI), Codman Neuro, Mentor, and Sterilmed. The CSS Group serves a diverse base of customers in Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), Infection Prevention, Electrophysiology (EP), Neurovascular and Neurosurgery, Surgical and Non-Surgical Aesthetics, and Reprocessing.
Biosense Webster is the global leader in the science of diagnosing and treating heart rhythm disorders and one of the fastest-growing businesses within Johnson & Johnson. Learn more about Biosense Webster at www.biosensewebster.com
Works on problems and projects of moderate scope where analysis of situation or data requires a review of identifiable factors. The qualified candidate must exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine the appropriate action needed. The Senior Sustaining Engineer will be dedicated to the line and responsible for process engineering and improvement, yield improvement, mechanical and electrical assembly, troubleshooting where needed, and various other projects including but not limited to the testing and design of toolings, requirements, and validation protocols. The Senior Sustaining Engineer will be responsible for selecting design directions and modifications of system components. The Senior Sustaining Engineer will participate in decisions on scope of work, selection of equipment and length of tasks. Furthermore, additional responsibilities also include deciding on design changes to meet revised specifications, providing and developing solutions to problems of limited scope, and may provide technical guidance to lower level personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under (e.g. limited supervision) and in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws/regulations and Corporate Johnson & Johnson, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Plan and conduct work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria while devising new approaches to problems encountered.
- Independently perform most assignments with instructions as to the general results expected, however will receive technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects.
- Plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate detailed phases of engineering work in part of a major project or in a total project of moderate scope that involves conventional engineering practice but may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials, and difficult coordination requirements.
- May be required to offer suggestions for and may implement improvements in operating time, yields, ergonomics, handling, etc.
- Additional duties of this role would include writing/updating work instructions, part specifications, validation protocols, technical documents (ECOs, NCR’s, CAPA’s), and various forms of reports and correspondence.
- May technically supervise or coordinate the work of engineers, draftspersons, technicians, and others who assist in specific assignments.
- Responsible for performing design reviews and pre-validation assessments to ensure the safe and environmentally sound start-up of new processes, communicating business related issues or opportunities to upper level management.
- This role will also ensure subordinates follow all company guidelines related to health, safety and environmental practices and that all resources needed to do so are available and in good condition.
- Supervision and guidance related largely to overall requirements, critical issues, new concepts, and policy matters.
- Consults with supervisor concerning unusual problems and developments.
- May technically supervise, coordinate and review the work of technicians.
- Practices company safety and quality policies and procedures. Actively requires conformance.
- Responsible for the purchase or design of equipment that meets health, safety and environmental standards set by the company.
- Responsible for communicating business related issues or opportunities to next management level.
- Responsible for ensuring subordinates follow all Company guidelines related to Health, Safety and Environmental practices and that all resources needed to do so are available and in good condition.
- Responsible for ensuring personal and Company compliance with all Federal, State, local and Company regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Performs other duties assigned as needed.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant engineering discipline and a minimum of four (4) years of related engineering experience are required.
- An MS degree preferred in a related engineering discipline.
- A significant complex level engineering experience is required.
- Financial background experience in the field of Operations would be preferred.
- Experience in the medical device industry would be highly preferred.
- More than a basic understanding of engineering theoretical fundamentals and experimental techniques is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of drafting software systems such as AutoCad and Solidworks is preferred.
- Knowledge of statistical software packages such as Minitab is preferred.
- Prior experince in a leadership and/or Project Management role is required.
- Process Excellence tools such as Lean and Six Sigma certification is preferred.
- Prior sustaining engineering is preferred.
- This position is located in Irwindale CA and may require up to 15% travel both domestic and internationally.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Biosense Webster Inc. (6010)