Johnson & Johnson Careers
Director, US State Government Affairs
Requisition ID: 6876190206
Johnson & Johnson is recruiting for a Director, US State Government Affairs to advocate at the state government level, and as needed, at the local level on behalf of Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., our operating companies, and, the patients we service in the state of New York (NY), New Hampshire (NH), and Vermont (VT). The bulk of the advocacy will be in New York so the candidate would ideally be based in New York (or within a commutable distance to New York).
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 130 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
With $81.6 billion in 2018 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 250 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing over 125,000 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
RESPONSIBILITIES/PRINCIPAL DUTIES (Essential Functions)
- Responsibility for representing the entire Corporation, including all Consumer, Medical Device, and Pharmaceutical sectors before a variety of administrative, regulatory, legislative, and executive levels of state government, and in some instances, local jurisdictions in New York City
- Establish and maintain interactive contact with executive, legislative, administrative, and regulatory branches of state and local governments to implement strategic plans and deliver favorable results for Johnson & Johnson, our providers and patients.
- Hold a thorough understanding of the political environment, the legislative and regulatory processes, including state budget developments within the states assigned.
- Draft and advance legislative and regulatory proposals
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with trade, professional, and allied organizations, educational institutions, organized labor and other entities/individuals who influence public policy at the state level
- Identify, analyze, and report to J&J businesses legislative and regulatory issues, as well as health care trends and emerging issues, that could have a potential impact on the business, recommend and manage a course of action
- Participate, serve, and assume leadership positions on industry-related associations, steering committees, and networking organizations to protect & promote J&J interests
- In coordination with the appropriate internal business partners, work to identify, establish, and affect policies that promote favorable coverage, reimbursement, and access to our products & services in government programs.
- Participate in internal work streams dedicated to key issues or interests of the Enterprise and to Johnson & Johnson subsidiaries.
- Implement J&J strategies and tactics to protect, promote, and positively enhance an open business climate in the formulation of legislation and regulations by state and local entities
- Maintain office complete with pertinent records, files and resource materials assuring proper business activities in reporting, planning, and advising regarding state governmental activities
- Adhere to J&J health care compliance requirements and all applicable government lobbying laws
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent education
- 10+ years of progressive professional experience, including a minimum of 5 years of legislative and public policy experience
- Prior experience as a lobbyist at the state or federal level
- Exposure to public policy issues facing the states of New York, New Hampshire and Vermont is required.
- Background in drafting and advance legislative and regulatory proposals
- Problem solving skills
- Experience leading a team and be a team player in multiple product/public policy disciplines
- influencing skills and communicate complex information in a manner that is understandable to those with little or no knowledge of the issue(s)
- Ability to provide examples of processing a significant amount of health product and public/private payor health care system information and apply this knowledge to the legislative and regulatory arena
- Success in applying knowledge of facility infrastructure, tax, economic development and work force public policy issues in the legislative and regulatory arena
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize and excellent oral and written skills are
- This position will require 50% domestic travel with the primary work located in New York. Travel to New Hampshire and Vermont will also be needed. Occasional international travel might occur.
- Advanced degree such as Masters or JD
- A degree with a focus in Business, Public Administration, Public Policy or Political Science
- State Affairs specific experience
- Health care industry knowledge, including major legislative & regulatory trends, companies, payers, markets, and nature of competitive environment
- Lobbying experience within the Scientific R&D environment
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-New York--
North America-United States-New Hampshire, North America-United States-Vermont
Johnson & Johnson Services Inc. (6090)