Johnson & Johnson Careers
Sr. Global Communications Leader, Integrated Innovation
Requisition ID: 6818190516
This role is responsible for the development, implementation, and management of comprehensive communication strategies to support a number of the key priorities of the Johnson & Johnson innovation agenda and to integrate our innovation narrative and connect it to the Johnson & Johnson purpose.
Specifically, this role will work with the VP for Innovation, Global Health, and Science Policy Communications and in collaboration with members of the GCA LT to:
- Develop and implement an integrated initiative to redefine, elevate, and scale our enterprise innovation narrative and strategy to more purposefully live into our collective mandate to enhance JNJ reputation on innovation. This includes broadening the aperture of how we view and define innovation, connecting it to our overall purpose and scaling our narrative and strategy on innovation.
- Develop a more robust and integrated innovation platform that brings together initiatives across Global Public Health, World Without Disease, the Innovation Centers, JLabs and the sectors that elevate and integrate our unique assets and deliver on the J&J purpose. The platform should achieve a more seamless, integrated story that showcases the power of a cohesive J&J approach to innovation and thereby enhance JNJ reputation as an innovative company.
- Oversee and successfully scale the Champions of Science Strategy and Campaign to highlight the importance of unleashing the power of science to enhance and advance the lives of everyone, everywhere. Continue to establish JNJ as a science-based company with world leading scientists who rely on facts, data, and evidence at the core of everything they do and a powerful network of entrepreneurs who are improving the world—use it to enhance project sunlight goals
- Collaborate with the integration of J&J’s leadership in digital health and health technology into the overall innovation narrative rather than a stand-alone and establish JNJ as a company that leverages digital and health technology as a critical enabler that will change the trajectory of health for humanity. Create excitement, advocacy and delight in this new space to drive positive ERI (Equity Reputation Index) for the Corporation.
- Work with Employee Communications team to ensure that JNJ employees feel they are part of an innovation culture, as ambassadors for the 133-year old startup company, and drive innovation storytelling to inspire and engage our employee base.
- Lead and coordinate the work to implement insights from Innovation design thinking workshops.
- Work across the Innovation team and with GCA LT to connect the dots with overall JNJ priorities and oversee a coordinated approach to activation, working with an activation team to deliver a more streamlined approach to innovation storytelling and a more streamlined interface from the innovation team to overall GCA in the areas of media relations, content lab, policy, public affairs, events, advertising, social media, etc.
- Collaborate and coordinate the platform for the Office of the CSO and implement a more thoughtful and proactive and strategic approach to the Office of the CSO priorities and develop a proactive communications plan that continues to drive our innovation agenda and our overall purpose.
This position is the key communication leader and interface to GCA and beyond for a unified message, and overview of the key priorities and communications plan for innovation. This position will work seamlessly with the Vice President, Enterprise Innovation, Global Health and Science Policy Communication and with the other GCA leadership to support the business objectives of innovation and support the objectives of the Johnson & Johnson innovation agenda.
Responsibilities include building and maintaining the reputation as a leading innovator among key external audiences and supporting the positioning of Johnson & Johnson as a leader in innovation writ large (not just R&D and science). This role will also collaborate with other senior leaders in the communications function to enhance the reputation of Johnson & Johnson and will collaborate with other enterprise and business colleagues to seamlessly integrate the storytelling around Johnson & Johnson’s unique brand of 360-innovation to combine heart, science, ingenuity to profoundly change the trajectory of health for humanity.
This position will lead a global team of approximately 3 direct reports and other indirect reports and leverage agency resources and internal “sprint teams” and a broad network worldwide to launch and manage comprehensive efforts to broaden awareness of JNJ as an innovation company. Specific responsibilities of this role include:
- Set vision, mission, and strategy for the Communication priorities under the scope of this leadership position.
- Enhance reputation among key audiences by differentiating J&J and its unique brand of innovation combining caring with a 133-year old start up mentality to drive a purpose driven approach to innovation.
- Build continued reputation equity for J&J as an engine that powers science and technology in the external ecosystem.
- Support the business objectives of Johnson & Johnson under the scope of this job and give it a competitive edge through the effective, efficient, and innovative management of communications with its worldwide internal and external publics;
- Serve as key counselor and communication leader for the key GCA leaders and others, and create a consistent and inspiring communication platform for key audiences internally and externally
- Build communications framework for telling innovation stories from across JNJ to enable Johnson & Johnson to live into the new purpose and reputational drivers.
- Promote employee understanding and engagement with the strategic vision of J&J’s unique brand of innovation in collaboration with the enterprise employee engagement and communication function.
- Launch and maintain an integrated communications program that positions innovation as a cornerstone of our overall innovation strategy and leverages regional successes to amplify global dialogue and reputation on an ongoing basis.
- Roll out executive level influence building campaign working in conjunction with and as part of the GCA plan to support JNJ’s goal to leverage innovation as a key reputational driver with stakeholder audiences and influencers.
- Shaping external perception: Working with VP, Innovation, Global Health and Science Policy, identify key factors driving innovation perception among external audiences using a design thinking approach. Assess how J&J calibrates against those drivers, determine what the audience wants and develop an external storytelling strategy.
- Increase share of voice and sphere of influence on key drivers of innovation reputation.
Develop and execute programs to shape external environment on innovation and support the overall goal to enhance J&J reputation and positioning as a leader in innovation.
- Build talent and a high-performing organization with innovative culture, metrics driven, best practices approach. Drive new opportunities, build capabilities, and provide direction setting for future state of Communications;
- Lead a global team either directly or through influence and build a network of communications practitioners located across the world to work together as a cohesive team responsible for end-to-end strategy and global positioning of our innovation narrative, in coordination other GCA colleagues and regional teams.
- Serve as a Member of the Innovation, Global Health, and Policy Communication Leadership Team in positioning J&J’s innovation expertise to key constituencies and stakeholders and also collaborate across the LT and with GCA functions to support, enhance and activate the innovation messaging
- Collaborate with key stakeholders in the GCA community (including Media Relations, Content Lab, and Sector Communications) to ensure alignment with overall innovation strategies and corporate strategies and apprise the leadership of those organizations on relevant communication issues and opportunities within the group; and
- As member of the Innovation Communications Leadership Team, help drive the enterprise innovation agenda and serve as the key interface to the Enterprise team.
- Bachelor’s degree is required a Master’s is an asset.
- 20 years experience in communication with a focus on enhancing the position and reputation of innovation driven organizations.
- Experience in leading an R&D, innovation or science-based communications team and familiarity with external industry trends, opportunities, and issues.
- Experience across the range of communication disciplines with a particular focus on science, innovation, technology communications, media relations and issues management.
- Experience working on global matters and ability to understand science and technology environments in global context.
- Experience working with large and global teams, agencies and consultants.
- At least 5 years of people management experience, managing global teams is a plus.
United States-New Jersey-New Brunswick-
Johnson & Johnson (6067)