Johnson & Johnson Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Senior R&D Design Engineer - Center for Device Innovation @ Texas Medical Center (1 of 2)
Requisition ID: 6724180322
Johnson & Johnson’s Center for Device Innovation at the Texas Medical Center is currently recruiting for two (2) Senior R&D Design Engineers based in our Houston, TX hub.
The vision of the Center for Device Innovation at the Texas Medical Center (CDI @ TMC) is to significantly impact healthcare by accelerating the development of breakthrough medical technologies. As a collaboration between Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, Johnson & Johnson Innovation, and the Texas Medical Center, CDI @ TMC brings together the unique strengths and resources across these great enterprises to create a novel approach for medical device innovation. The team, resources, and access to expertise through CDI @ TMC enables needs-based ideation, rapid technology prototyping, and pre-clinical / clinical testing with shorter timelines and capital efficiency.
The team at CDI @ TMC has a consistent track record of successful medical devices and has flexibility to engage in new opportunities across a spectrum of different services and needs, including: independent development, collaborative co-development, machining / prototyping, design for manufacturing, and strategic advising. Be sure to check out our website to learn more exciting information: http://www.jnjinnovation.com/cdi
A Senior Design Engineer is responsible for crafting innovative concepts, modelling, prototyping and validating product designs at the system level from initial idea to a manufacturable solution. Additional responsibilities include providing mentorship and direction to more junior engineers and with mentorship, take the role of technical project lead. This position will exhibit strong engineering skills, working closely with experts in the medical field, coupled with hands on fabrication and testing.
Key job responsibilities:
- Apply strong engineering principles (materials, solid mechanics, DFMA & reliability) to achieve product design requirements.
- Demonstrate an understanding of advanced rapid prototyping machine shop technologies.
- CAD design, drafting and modelling to create prototypes.
- Translate customer & marketing recommendations to define product opportunities and technical design requirements.
- Build innovative and practical product, system & component design solutions.
- Work in a collaborative team structure with highly technical engineering partners and experts within the medical profession.
- Perform product testing and analysis to assure robust design.
- Provide support to patent attorneys for patent filing.
- Assist in developing & monitoring project plan, budget, contingency plans & work estimation.
- Learn medical terminology, surgical procedures & instrumentation.
- Mentor junior associates as required.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering is required; Mechanical, Electro Mechanical, Biomedical, Electrical and/or Systems Engineering discipline is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of four (4) years of design-related experience is required.
- Knowledge of general design engineering and DFMA principles, component manufacturing processes, and material properties is required.
- Experience with CAD/CAM and design analysis software is required; Experience with statistical analysis techniques & statistical process controls are preferred.
- Demonstrated technical leadership capabilities with experience working in a collaborative, cross-functional team environment is required.
- Experience working with Vendors and Suppliers is required.
- Technical writing is required; Protocols, testing results, procedures, status & special reports are preferred.
- Project management skills & risk analysis skills are required.
- Design of experiments (DOE), Patent interpretation, Mechanical testing, and GD&T is required.
- Knowledge of part manufacturing processes & tooling methodologies are preferred.
- Effective interpersonal skills & the ability to partner with internal & external customers (networking) is required.
- The ability to adapt to shifting priorities, thrive in a rapid pace environment, strong analytical skills, and the ability to take initiative & self-manage with limited direction at times as these are all required.
- This position is based in Houston, TX and may require up to 10% domestic travel.
Are you motivated by contributing to innovation in a small-company environment with the big-company impact of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies? If so, bid on this CDI@TMC position today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Ethicon Inc. (6045)
R&D Engineering (R&D)