Janssen Research & Development is a world-class pharmaceutical organization committed to research and development of innovative therapies for diseases with great unmet medical need. Janssen Immunology Research & Development focuses on improving the health and lifestyles of people with serious immunological and inflammatory conditions worldwide, and today has a leading portfolio of medicines to treat psoriasis, Crohn’s disease, psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, atopic dermatitis and ulcerative colitis.
Data science is a critical function within Janssen Immunology supporting drug discovery and development. The Immunology Data Science team contributes to many aspects of drug development including exploration of molecular data to discover and validate biological pathways, data management and development of advanced analytics, and application of real-world evidence to drug development strategies.
This role is within Immunology Data Science on the Data Science Disease Biology (DSDB) team. DSDB is responsible for partnering closely with Immunology Discovery to provide data science support throughout the discovery process. Activities include partnering with discovery scientists to mine human molecular data for novel pathways, identify therapeutic targets within pathways of interest, and analyze molecular data from preclinical experiments to progress discovery programs.
The successful candidate will lead a team of computational biologists within DSDB and contribute to the department’s strategic direction. The candidate will manage a portfolio of discovery projects, ensure delivery of completed analyses in support of key program milestones, drive technical excellence in computational biology, contribute to the strategic direction of DSDB and, most importantly, take an active role in growing and developing team members. To accomplish these goals, the candidate must have experience managing and developing a team of scientists as well as a deep technical background in computational biology and the study of complex biological systems.
- Oversee the design and execution of computational analysis plans to achieve early drug development objectives
- Guide team members in the communication of computational results and guide stakeholders in applying those results to making strategic decisions
- Work closely with key leaders in partner functions to ensure project goals are met
- Ensure excellence in analysis results interpretation with laser focus on driving real impact in early drug development
- Contribute to the overall department’s strategic direction with special focus on increasing the impact of data science in drug development
- Lead internal and external collaborations to increase team capabilities or address a strategic need
- Take initiative to identify, pilot and internalize emerging technical approaches that may drive increased value for early drug development
- Develop technical expertise and leadership potential of team members with particular focus on training the next wave of data science leaders
- Help build an extensive external network of leaders in the computational biology field to enable strategic partnerships and awareness of new technical capabilities
- Drive technical excellence and robustness in computational analysis
- 8+ years post-graduate industry experience
- PhD degree in Immunology, Biology, Computational Biology, Genomics or related field
- Extensive experience gaining biological insights using computational approaches and high-dimensional biological data (e.g., transcriptomics, genomics, etc.)
- Extensive people management experience in a matrixed environment
- Experience within the immunology field or a closely related field of biology
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills are required
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams to design computational analysis is preferred
- Experience working in drug development is preferred
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)