Johnson & Johnson Careers
Requisition ID: 6529190606
The Molecular & Cellular Pharmacology (MCP) Group
is a critical part of Lead Discovery in the Discovery Sciences organization in
Janssen R&D and is committed to the delivery of high-quality chemical leads
needed for the generation of small molecule clinical compounds in all five
Janssen Therapeutic Area (TA) discovery teams. We are currently seeking a Scientific Director to join our team and lead the
Chemical Biology/Chemoproteomics Group within the MCP Group. This
position will be based in La Jolla, CA and will report to the
Global Head of Molecular & Cellular Pharmacology.
The Scientific Director will lead the Chemical Biology/Chemoproteomics Group in MCP consisting of Ph.D. and non-Ph.D. Scientists and will set standards for scientific rigor and excellence and build a culture of innovation that is fully aligned with therapeutic area objectives. The candidate will be the leading expert in Chemical Biology, Chemoproteomics, & Proteomics representing Discovery Sciences and contribute scientifically to discussions regarding external collaborations. S/he will build a cutting-edge team dedicated to the application of chemical biology/chemoproteomics techniques to drug discovery. Working with project teams across multiple therapeutic areas and sites, this team will be responsible for the evaluation and optimization of chemical biology probes, the discovery & development of covalent drug candidates, and building a platform for next-generation targeted protein degraders as therapeutic agents.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in chemical biology/chemoproteomics/biochemistry/cell biology or related field with 2-3 years of post- doctoral experience.
- 8+ years of drug discovery experience with a record of important contributions to development of novel clinical candidates is preferred.
- Recognized scientific leader in the field of Chemical Biology/Chemoproteomics.
- Breadth of experience in development and application of Chemical Biology, Chemoproteomics, & Proteomics methods to drug discovery.
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience in Chemical Biology and Chemoproteomics techniques including activity-based protein profiling and related fields (e.g., assessment of proteome-wide selectivity and target engagement).
- Experience using proteomic methods to evaluate targeted protein degraders is preferred.
- Solid LC-MS and tandem MS background including hands-on experience with QE series mass spectrometers (QE, QE-HF, QE-HFX) and Fusion.
- Expert in quantitative proteomics methodologies (N15, SILAC, TMT labeling, label-free quantification), and fragmentation methods (CID, ETD, HCD).
- Expert in using Integrated Proteomics Applications software (IP2) - ProLuCID, DTAselect or other relevant search engines.
- Experience with protein post-translational modification analyses is highly desirable (phosphorylation, glycosylation, ubiquination, etc).
- Extensive experience in working in multidisciplinary teams and in application of biophysics, structural biology, and molecular, cellular, and in vivo pharmacology for optimization of clinical candidates is highly preferred.
- Strong capabilities to recruit, teach and develop/mentor both Ph.D. and non-Ph.D. scientists are required.
- Excellent scientific leadership skills demonstrated by important contributions to strategic planning in chemical biology, chemoproteomics, and proteomics efforts are required.
- Outstanding record of external publications and presentations at major conferences is required.
- Record of success in leading collaborations with external research organizations, including academic institutions, contract research organizations, and/or public-private consortia.
- Excellent written and oral presentation capabilities is required.
- Experience as a drug discovery program team leader is preferred.
- Expertise in one or more of the following therapeutic areas is preferred: Oncology, Immunology, Cardiovascular & Metabolic Diseases, Neuroscience, & Infectious Diseases.
United States-California-La Jolla-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)