Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Sr. Director, Lead Engineering in our Biologics Discovery department located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
The candidate should be a highly motivated and accomplished scientist with demonstrated expertise in protein biochemistry and molecular engineering. This position is responsible for leading protein design efforts to generate novel biotherapeutics across a range of modalities including: antibodies, multispecific antibodies, oncolytic virus, and CAR-Ts. The successful development of new innovative therapeutics will require close collaboration with a variety of inter-disciplinary colleagues.
Biologics Discovery develops lead molecules for a range of therapeutic areas and enables discovery of new therapeutics concepts in collaboration with our therapeutic area discovery counterparts in oncology, neuroscience, infectious disease, cardiovascular/metabolism, and immunology. This position will be accountable and responsible for delivering on a portfolio of programs by directing and supervising the engineering of novel biotherapeutics across the entire biologics portfolio. This role will:
- Identify key issues and allocate resources to support goals and progress of the entire portfolio
- Possess in-depth, current knowledge for optimization/engineering of large molecules
- Build and manage the careers of a large team of lead engineering scientists
- Directly supervise three Directors and a total team of 30 lead engineering scientists
- Obtains in-depth knowledge of the therapeutic targets of interest and assist in setting priorities in the context of the external competitive landscape
- Evaluate external licensing opportunities and participate and due diligences when needed
- Author patents and publications
- Help establish a leading multi-specific platform for Janssen
- Communicates experimental findings accurately and concisely in both oral and written formats.
- Present at group meetings, global project team meetings, and site meetings.
- Contribute to a culture that embraces continuous learning, development and collaboration
- Ph.D. with 10-years of experience in drug development with industry or related (pharma, biotech, CRO, academic clinical research) with leadership experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in the field of Biological Science (molecular engineering, protein biochemistry, biophysics, structural biology) or a related field (chemical engineering, biomedical engineering and biological engineering.)
- Strong publications and/or proven record of optimizing high quality large molecules and multi-specific formats is required.
- Solid technical knowledge and hands-on experience with molecular biology, protein biochemistry and protein engineering.
- Demonstrated experience leading scientific teams and delivering on a portfolio of programs.
- Ability to organize and communicate complex data sets in a clear and concise manner to key stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
- Availability to travel up to 10% yearly is required (international as well as domestic).
- Broad understanding of the biotherapeutics (antibody and antibody-like scaffold) development process.
- Experience building teams and managing people’s career progression.
- Prior experience working with or leading collaborations with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations.
- Strong motivation, passion and commitment to science and engineering novel entities.
- Prior experience in delivering project goals in timely manner.
- Knowledge of translational work involving antibody and protein therapeutics in neuroscience, immunology and oncology.
- Industry experience, including regulatory agency interaction is highly desired, including experience of target validation and candidate selection.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)