Janssen R&D LLC. is currently seeking to recruit a Microbiology Leader, Scientific Director, for a research and development team within the Infectious Diseases and Vaccines Therapeutic Area to be located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
The Microbiology Leader, Scientific Director, will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of a small a multi-disciplinary team focused on the discovery and development of novel antibacterial agents, such as bacteriophage, targeting key bacterial pathogens for infectious diseases associated with high unmet medical needs.
The Microbiology Leader, Scientific Director, will:
- Partner with the Head of Microbiology to provide significant strategic input into the selection of targets, and therapeutic candidates for the Janssen Infectious Disease efforts in direct manipulation of the bacterial environment to impact disease pathogenesis.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of a multi-disciplinary team in the characterization of contemporary clinical isolates of key multi-drug resistant (MDR) bacterial pathogens. Such activities will include:
- The phenotypic and genotypic characterization of strains with regards to antibiotic resistance and virulence traits,
- The genetic manipulation of strains using traditional and recombinant methods,
- The isolation, characterization and/or genetic manipulation of bacteriophage,
- The development and implementation of novel assays to characterize key virulence and antibacterial drug-resistance traits,
- Contributions to, and oversight of, preclinical efficacy studies,
- Contribution to broader Janssen strategic initiatives in addressing MDR bacterial diseases.
- Have a proven track record in antibacterial discovery and development and professional engagement with the broader scientific community in this area.
- Have a proven track record in the writing, preparation and publication of manuscripts in top-tier, peer reviewed journals.
- Have a proven track record in the synthesis, writing, preparation and review of regulatory submission documents including Investigational New Drug (IND) and Clinical Trial Application (CTA) filings.
- Have documented evidence in team building and enablement.
- Be expected to represent Janssen R&D LLC. in public settings.
- A PhD in Microbiology or related discipline plus 10 years related industry experience OR a Master’s degree in Microbiology or related discipline plus 15 years related industry experience is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of related team leadership experience, including employee engagement, team-building and personnel management and mentoring as well as in facilitating and managing external scientific collaborations is required.
- Experience in antibiotic discovery and development is required including the preparation and review of regulatory documents.
- Polished presentation, writing and organizational skills are required.
- Builds relationships across stakeholders – internally, externally and spanning global geographies – and ability to work up, down and lateral across the organization is required.
- Ability to develop programs from concept through to completion is required.
- Skilled in working with and managing relationships with agencies and consultants is required.
- Managing Research & Development budgets is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills are required.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, is flexible, collaborative and deadline driven is required.
- Up to 15% domestic travel is required.
- Position is located in Spring House, PA.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)