Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientist, Principal Scientist, located in San Diego, CA
The Principal Scientist will join our Biologics Discovery organization located in San Diego. Biologics Discovery identifies and develops lead biotherapeutic molecules for a range of indications and therapeutic areas within Janssen R&D. The Principal Scientist will be leading protein engineering efforts for development of non-antibody protein therapeutics as an independent contributor, closely collaborating with and utilizing support from co-located functional groups. You will propose ideas and define strategies for engineering initial candidate molecules into optimized lead protein therapeutics and drive, coordinate and contribute to the lab work to execute the strategies. You have subject matter expertise in one or more areas that are germane to protein engineering and can deliver results within aggressive but achievable timelines.
This person will effectively summarize and communicate project strategy, work, results and conclusions. In a highly matrixed organization, your ability to build productive interactions with colleagues at all levels and from varied functions will lead to being both a strong team leader and team member. You will be a member of multiple therapeutic and new platform/technology development project teams and provide expertise and support needed to help deliver on project goals. You will provide and test ideas for new technologies that can produce novel biotherapeutics or improve their performance and potentially build intellectual property for the organization.
- Ph.D. degree in Protein Biochemistry, Protein Engineering or related field with 5+ years of experience, preferably in research within the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries required.
- Demonstrated experience with protein design to improve/modify protein function, biophysical properties, production levels or other attributes and with implementation and testing of design is required.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with current innovative or high throughput methods for molecular biology, protein variant libraries, prokaryotic or eukaryotic expression and purification, screening or other that facilitate efficient protein engineering is required.
- Experience and aptitude with biologics databases is preferred.
- Project leadership experience is a plus.
- Experience with structure-based protein design and requisite software is a plus.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)