Johnson & Johnson Careers
Design Co-op - Research & Development
Requisition ID: 6435191001
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 130 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
With $76.5 billion in 2017 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 250 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing over 125,000 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Ethicon Endo-Surgery is a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting a Designer Co-op position. The Ethicon Surgical Care business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies-including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices-that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women's health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. The Ethicon Surgical Care business combines products and services of two market leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and electiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
This position of the Designer Co-op is to be a functional member of an Research & Development Team within our New Product Development Franchise. The designer co-op will be working with an Assignment Manager on your assigned project team and will learn all aspects of the designer role and be providing a functional role within the team to complete assignments and individual projects pertinent to the team’s success.
- Make drawing changes and create engineering change notices (ECN)
- Create 3D Cad models, detail drawings, sub-assemblies, and layouts
- Create prototypes using additive manufacturing, 3D printers.
- Create convert equipment drawings from suppliers into CAD system
- Apply basic principles to plastic component design (draft, shutoffs, core and cavity) and metallic component design (stampings, machining, wire EDM)
- Utilize electronic data management system for CAD file management
- Update final device assemblies and packaging assemblies
- Establish, check, and document component tolerance analysis
- Participate in design collaboration forums.
- Experience in standard drafting conventions
- Able to incorporate production and manufacturing principles into product design
- Team interaction skills: including working with engineering, marketing, and industrial design
- Ability to organize and complete committed deliverables
- Solid model and detail drawing experience using SolidWorks
- Mechanism design and development
- Design principles and techniques, DFMA, FMEA (failure mode evaluation and analysis)
- Experience taking products from conceptual development into production
- GD&T (geometric dimensioning & tolerancing) for component drawings and design
- Exposure to production and manufacturing operations
- Material selection with design considerations
- Precision metallic component design (machining, progressive die, laser, wire EDM)
- Tolerance stack-ups
- Plastic part design (parting line, shutoffs, gating)
- Breadboard and prototype technologies
- Component tolerance analysis
- Candidates must be enrolled in an accredited college/university pursuing one of the following: Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering Technology, Engineering Graphics / Design
- Candidates must be available to work Full-time.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g. H1-B status) now or in the future.
- Demonstrated leadership is preferred.
- Candidates must be detail-oriented, highly organized and able to manage multiple tasks.
- Candidates must have the ability to work individually (independently) as well as on a team.
- Candidates need to be proficient with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Power Point, and have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Candidates are required to have experience using Solidworks for 3D modeling and technical drawings.
- A minimum G.P.A. of 3.0 is strongly preferred.
- Participation in campus/community service activities is desired.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)