Johnson & Johnson Careers
Principal Scientist, Chemistry – Oligonucleotide Discovery, RNA & Targeted Therapeutics - South San Francisco, CA
Requisition ID: 6378191001
Janssen Research and Development, a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Scientist, Chemistry – Oligonucleotide Discovery, RNA & Targeted Therapeutics, located in South San Francisco, CA
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research and Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
RNA and Targeted Therapeutics is an organization within Discovery Sciences committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates in the novel synthetic modalities space working closely with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams.
Our mission requires strategic thinking, portfolio mindset and deep scientific expertise in several disciplines including oligonucleotide chemistry, bioconjugation chemistry, nanotechnology, cellular and molecular pharmacology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. We are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Principal Scientist, Chemistry – Oligonucleotide Discovery, RNA & Targeted Therapeutics. This role offers tremendous growth opportunity within a dynamic and science-driven organization.
- As a dynamic project leader, drive and direct oligonucleotide chemistry functions for siRNA, antisense, or other nucleic acid discovery projects, working in concert with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other key functions
- Provide scientific direction and leadership for oligonucleotitide and synthetic chemistry activities of internal & external FTEs
- Analyze screening data, perform literature reviews, design, propose, and execute nucleic acid chemistry plans, coordinate chemistry and biology data to support oligonucleotide compound progression and patent strategies
- Supervise and direct synthetic chemistry activities at contract research organizations (CROs)
- Participate in portfolio and stage-gate reviews, lead the preparation and presentation of dossiers for clinical candidate nomination and compound advancement
- Serve as a scientific expert in nucleic acid drug discovery with both internal and external partners and provide recommendations regarding new targets and emerging external opportunities
- Ensure optimal interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to Discovery Sciences leadership
- Maintain a significant level of knowledge and management of laboratory research
- Maintain significant personal laboratory presence
- PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry is required
- Postdoctoral experience with an emphasis on oligonucleotide or nucleoside chemistry is preferred
- A minimum of 5 or more years’ experience with discovery of oligonucleotide therapeutics, with proven track record, is required
- Experience as a project leader in the biopharmaceutical industry is strongly preferred
- Experience in one or more therapeutic areas/oligonucleotide modalities is preferred
- Expert knowledge of modern methods of synthetic chemistry with an emphasis on oligonucleotide synthesis and characterization is required
- Strong understanding of nucleic acid modalities, modification chemistries, sequence selection, and mechanism of action is required
- Experience working with computational scientists as part of project team is preferred
- Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and/or presentations at major national meetings is required
- Record of maintaining a strong lab presence directly is required
- This position is located in South San Francisco, CA, and may require up to 10% travel
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-South San Francisco-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)