Johnson & Johnson Careers
Research Scientist, Chemistry – Oligonucleotide Discovery, RNA & Targeted Therapeutics - South San Francisco, CA
Requisition ID: 6352191001
Janssen Research and Development, a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Research Scientist, Chemistry – Oligonucleotide Discovery, RNA & Targeted Therapeutics, located in South San Francisco, CA
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research and Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
RNA and Targeted Therapeutics is an organization within Discovery Sciences committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates in the novel synthetic modalities space working closely with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams.
Our mission requires strategic thinking, portfolio mindset and deep scientific expertise in several disciplines including oligonucleotide chemistry, bioconjugation chemistry, nanotechnology, cellular and molecular pharmacology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. We are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as a Research Scientist, Chemistry – Oligonucleotide Discovery, RNA & Targeted Therapeutics.
In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external oligonucleotide chemistry teams to generate innovative solutions to synthetic and drug design challenges within the context of nucleic acid drug discovery projects. She/he will maintain close interactions with computer assisted design scientists, biologists, pharmacologists, and pharmaceutical development scientists. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a team and goal driven environment are key attributes.
This individual must also excel in communication and have strong interpersonal skills necessary to influence in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
- Maintaining a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Developing and executing clear synthetic strategies towards chemically modified single and double stranded oligonucleotide sequences and monomers using state-of-the-art synthetic methodologies.
- Collaboratively supporting the advancement of compounds through in vitro and in vivo studies to identify development candidates.
- Supervise and direct synthetic chemistry activities at contract research organizations (CROs)
- Generating novel, testable hypotheses to enable clear decision making.
- Contributing to defining scientific strategies and goals within a project team setting.
- Presenting data and reports on project status at individual, group, and departmental meetings.
- Drafting, executing and serving as lead author on research published in peer reviewed journals, and presenting work at scientific conferences
- PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry is required
- Postdoctoral experience with an emphasis on oligonucleotide or nucleoside chemistry is strongly preferred
- Highly skilled in the multistep synthesis, purification, and characterization of small molecules is required
- Strong experience in the solid phase synthesis of oligonucleotides and/or nucleoside/nucleotide synthesis is preferred
- Understanding of nucleic acid modalities, modification chemistries, sequence selection, and mechanism of action is preferred
- Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and/or presentations at major national meetings is required
- Record of maintaining a strong lab presence directly is required
- This position is located in South San Francisco, CA, and may require up to 10% travel
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-South San Francisco-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)