Janssen Research and Development, a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Scientific Director, Chemistry – Oligonucleotide Discovery, RNA & Targeted Therapeutics, located in South San Francisco, CA
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research and Development, LLC. is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
RNA and Targeted Therapeutics is an organization within Discovery Sciences committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates in the novel synthetic modalities space working closely with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams.
Our mission requires strategic thinking, portfolio mindset and deep scientific expertise in several disciplines including oligonucleotide chemistry, bioconjugation chemistry, nanotechnology, cellular and molecular pharmacology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. We are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Scientific Director, Chemistry – Oligonucleotide Discovery, RNA & Targeted Therapeutics. This role offers tremendous growth opportunity within a dynamic and science-driven organization.
This position will require the candidate to possess and leverage deep knowledge and capabilities to deliver differentiated clinical candidates to the Janssen product development pipeline within our Disease and Pathway Area Stronghold (DAS and PAS) strategy. Using a mix of internal and external resources, the Scientific Director will partner with key stakeholders in the Therapeutic Areas and other internal groups, represent RNA and Targeted Therapeutics and lead cross-functional project teams, and be co-responsible for building, managing, and delivering high quality clinical molecules.
- Serve as project leader and program core team leader to set program and nucleic acid chemistry strategies, drive and direct oligonucleotide chemistry functions for two or more drug discovery projects, working in concert with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmaceutical sciences, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, chemical development, and other key functions
- Participate in portfolio and stage-gate reviews, lead the preparation and presentation of dossiers for clinical candidate nomination and compound advancement
- Provide scientific direction and leadership for oligonucleotide and synthetic chemistry activities of internal & external FTEs
- Provide nucleic acid drug discovery insights and objective assessment(s) to various stakeholders including colleagues in Discovery Sciences, the J&J Innovation Centers, and across multiple Therapeutic Areas.
- Analyze screening data, perform literature reviews, design, propose, and execute nucleic acid chemistry plans, coordinate chemistry and biology data to support oligonucleotide progression and patent strategies
- Supervise and direct synthetic chemistry activities at contract research organizations (CROs)
- Ensure optimal interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to Discovery Sciences leadership
- Talent: identify and develop talent across the organization with the goal of building and sustaining a high performing team with an eye towards succession planning. Champion and operationalize employee development.
- PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry is required
- Postdoctoral experience with an emphasis on oligonucleotide or nucleoside chemistry is preferred
- A minimum of 10 or more years’ experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with a proven track record of leading innovative oligonucleotide discovery projects and providing key contributions to clinical candidate selection is required
- People management experience demonstrated by leading a team of 4+ chemists as a manager or as a scientific supervisor in a matrixed fashion, is preferred
- Expert knowledge of modern methods of synthetic chemistry with an emphasis on oligonucleotide synthesis and characterization is required
- Expertise in nucleic acid modalities, modification chemistries, sequence selection, and mechanism of action is required
- Excellent communication skills for presenting program strategy, issues, mitigation plans and milestones to governance committees and senior leadership, is required.
- Solid understanding of cellular/molecular biology, biochemistry, disease pharmacology, mechanisms of drug metabolism and molecular toxicology, pharmaco-kinetic and pharmaco-dynamic sciences, and formulations for the in vivo evaluation of drug candidates is required
- Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and/or presentations at major national meetings is required
- Demonstrated influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to succeed within a matrix environment are required
- Experience in managing project budgets, aligning actions with overall strategy, and supporting business cases for decision-making is preferred
- This position is located in South San Francisco, CA, and may require up to 10% travel
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-South San Francisco-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)