Johnson & Johnson Careers
Scientist, PET Chemistry - San Diego, CA - (#1 of 2 openings)
Requisition ID: 6258190201
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientist, PET Chemistry, located in San Diego, CA.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The PET imaging group at Janssen is committed to the discovery and validation of Positron Emission Tomography (PET) imaging agents for a number of different targets supporting all Therapeutic Areas (TAs). Our diverse team requires deep scientific expertise in many disciplines including chemistry, radiochemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, and imaging technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. We are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Scientist, PET Chemistry. This position will focus on lead discovery and optimization chemistry, and will be based at our site in San Diego, CA.
We are seeking an entry-level PhD chemist with excellent synthetic organic synthesis and/or medicinal chemistry expertise to advance small molecule drug discovery leads into clinical PET tracers. In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external medicinal chemistry teams to generate small molecule imaging agents. She/he will maintain close interactions with discovery scientists, computer assisted design scientists, biologists, pharmacologists, and imaging specialists. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a team and goal driven environment are key attributes.
This individual must also excel in communication and have strong interpersonal skills necessary to influence in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
- Developing and executing clear synthetic strategies towards complex molecules using state-of-the-art synthetic methodologies.
- Knowledge of click chemistry.
- Independently designing and synthesizing drug-like molecules utilizing medicinal chemistry knowledge and an understanding of ADME, pharmacokinetics and physicochemical properties optimal for PET imaging agents
- Synthesis of PET labeling precursors and standards and optimization of labeling and purification conditions
- Collaboratively supporting the advancement of compounds through in vitro and in vivo studies to identify development candidates
- Collaboration with structure-based design groups to impact rational design of molecules.
- Contributing to defining scientific strategies and goals within a project team setting
- Presenting data and reports on project status at individual, group, and departmental meetings
- Drafting, executing and serving as lead author on research published in peer reviewed journals, and presenting work at scientific conferences
- A minimum of PhD degree in synthetic, organic or medicinal chemistry is required
- Postdoctoral experience is preferred
- A strong track record in the synthesis of complex molecules and/or synthetic methodology development, with deep knowledge of modern synthetic & analytical techniques is required
- Knowledge of click chemistry is preferred.
- Experience with analytical LC/MS and preparative HPLC purification is required
- An understanding of methods for introducing fluorine into organic molecules is a plus.
- A proven track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, or patents, or presentations is required
- Independent thinking and the ability to effectively collaborate in a highly matrixed environment are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of presentations are required
- This position is located in San Diego, CA, and requires spending a minimum 90% of time spent in the lab.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)