Johnson & Johnson Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Principal Systems Engineer, Digital Orthopedic Surgery
Requisition ID: 6235171205
DePuy Synthes, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for Principal Systems Engineer, Digital Surgery to be located in Providence, RI.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Principal Systems Engineer, Digital Surgery will report to the Director of R&D Digital Orthopedic Surgery. In this newly created position, the System Engineer will provide technical direction and leadership in complex, integrated hardware and software systems for surgical orthopedic systems.
The candidate will exercise independent judgment in developing innovative computer based systems and tools; create methods and assessment criteria related to relevant new technologies. Activities will include system design, prototyping, design of experiments for optimization of systems architecture, design controls, manufacturability, and IT integrated tools, instruments and OR capital equipment.
The candidate will provide technical leadership to project teams from charter to launch for highly complex products; demonstrates the ability to execute complex, multi-disciplinary technical projects; develops corresponding patent strategies and support regulatory submission activities.
The candidate will work with in-house teams, cross J&J teams, and external collaborators including companies and consultants to align technical project strategies with the regulatory, preclinical, and clinical strategies for complex products to meet business objectives.
Working knowledge of areas like computational science, software engineering, human factors/human-machine interface, and graphics are useful as being part of the team with other members having expertise in related domains. The candidate should ideally have some fundamental knowledge base in robotics algorithms, and CAS systems, although the emphasis in this position is on broad expertise in applied computer sciences and engineering as a member of a larger team, complimented by others who have true expertise in joint reconstruction treatment.
Specific responsibilities of the Principal Systems Engineer include:
- Apply intensive and diversified knowledge of system engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and fields, in particular guiding system architecture design and the development of systems and tools that meet and exceed surgeon and patient needs, in orthopedic domains with the initial emphasis on navigated surgery.
- Plans and conducts significant projects with technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing and coordinating milestones and seamless transfer of projects to external partners or to new product development teams.
- Drives system design across breadth of engineering organization, while contributing with deep technical expertise in at least one area of Mechanical, Electrical/System or Software Engineering.
- Lead / participate in specific algorithm, mechanical, electrical or software designs depending on background and expertise.
- Lead in identification and subsequent interactions and development activities with External partners who bring essential synergistic technologies and capabilities, and assess their integration fitness and aptitude.
- This individual will design innovative system solutions for diagnosis and for minimal invasive surgical procedures; occasionally lead cross-functional project teams to commercialize products and help to improve or establish design and engineering best practices.
- Fosters a dynamic and globally oriented culture of responsible experimentation, willingness to fail, bold “out of the box” thinking, collaboration, disciplined adherence to innovation timelines, and self-starting attitude.
- Leverages capabilities within J&J’s Medical Device sector and throughout J&J in bringing novel concepts to maturity. Leverages J&J resources and knowledgebase to identify internal and key external technologies and potential partners.
- Collaborates with other New Technology teams in the US and Overseas in the creation of novel concepts and the disruptive redirection of existing technologies.
- BS/MS in Mechanical, Electrical, Biomedical or Software Engineering
- Minimum 6 years in New Product Development, and at least 5 years in a Systems Engineering or Architecture Role.
- Validated effectiveness in leading and collaborating across organization boundaries (e.g. project teams, functions, partner organizations). Expertise in building and maintaining relationships with internal / external stakeholders is preferred.
- Working knowledge of system level tools and processes used for requirements management, risk management, issue tracking, test automation.
- Expertise or deep understanding of camera systems, robotics systems, high and low level software control.
- Software programing and prototyping. Experience with LabView or MatLab, C++, C# or other relevant languages.
- Previous experience with surgical devices and/or procedures.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in collaborating across organizational boundaries without direct authority.
- Experience with a medical or highly regulated environment.
- Experience in medical software enabled surgery innovation in software/hardware development and product development setting is required.
- Excellent negotiation skills, as well as verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Computer Science fundamentals in hardware, software algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis is required.
- Extensive breadth of experience and a strong working knowledge in at least 3 of the 8 Competencies is required:
- Systems Architecture
- Software Engineering
- Graphics & Human Interface
- Experience in Orthopedic related field with knowledge and experience with joint reconstruction pathologies and treatment alternatives is preferred.
- Previous experience with product development from concept to commercial launch is required.
- Position requires approximately 15% travel including international and based in Providence, RI.
United States-Rhode Island-Providence
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)