Johnson & Johnson Careers
R&D Director, Sensors & Wearables
Requisition ID: 5996180706
DePuy Synthes, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a R&D Director, Sensors & Wearables to be located in Providence, RI area. Temporary location in Raynham, MA will be considered but position will eventually be primarily located in Providence, RI upon completion of new facility.
Johnson and Johnson Medical Device is the world’s largest medical technology business. The people and teams within our Medical Devices companies deliver new innovations and technologies that healthcare professionals and customers need every day.
We serve healthcare professionals in fields like orthopedics, neurology, cardiology, minimally invasive surgery, wound management and women’s health. We also serve consumers with vision care products like contact lenses and people living with diabetes with innovative blood glucose monitors and insulin pumps.is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world.
At Johnson and Johnson, we believe that digital technologies will serve major role within our Medical Devices business moving forward. In order appropriately develop and invest in new products and services in the space of digital healthcare technologies, Johnson and Johnson Medical Devices has created the Digital Platforms Center of Excellence. This newly created unit will be tasked with developing and commercializing, in partnership with various platforms and businesses within the Medical Devices sector, digitally enabled technologies such as robotics, remote monitoring rehabilitation services, and advanced surgical visualization products.
As a core member of the Digital Platform Center of Excellence Leadership team, the Senior Director, Sensors and Wearables serves as the accountable leader and directly responsible individual for one of the functional units within the COE. In partnership with various individuals including platform and R&D leadership, Health and Wellness leadership, other key stakeholders across Medical Devices, this role is responsible for defining the overall Medical Device technology and product strategy for sensors, wearables, applications, potential device interfaces, and web based portals across the digital product application space. This individual will lead the development of products and services in this newly created space and will be accountable for executing against key milestones and commitments as agreed to across various business units within MD.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for developing the overall technology architecture strategy, including sensors, wearables, and apps for potential Rehabilitation Services models across Medical Devices.
- Specifically, this individual is accountable for creating the MD wide approach for key technology components which can be leveraged across multiple business units within MD, including:
- Wearable Devices – post-operative wearables which can be worn by a patient and used either as a sensor carrier or to actively track various biometric data measurements
- Sensors – either organically or in partnership with external vendors, provide for the development of sensors which can post-operatively track a variety of biometric data measurements including activity level, range of motion, stress, strain, and other parameters as considered appropriate
- Software Solutions – programs and mobile applications which communicate with the wearable/sensor devices to capture data as well as allow for remote communication to rehabilitation specialists
- Builds an organization with the right talent and capabilities to execute on the Rehabilitation Technologies vision
- Partners with potential external stakeholders to develop rehabilitation technology concepts and identifies potential pilot sites for commercial entry
- In conjunction with Regulatory Affairs, helps to define the regulatory strategy for new product offerings
- Provides progress updates to key R&D and other business stakeholders on a regular and as-needed basis
- Partners with New Business Development team to assess external opportunities/options for consideration
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required. MBA or PhD preferred.
- A minimum of 12 years of experience is required within one of the following areas: Medical Device Research & Development, Healthcare or Consumer IT, or healthcare technology environment.
- Previous FDA regulated industry experience is required.
- Previous experience in a hardware/software inclusive medical device environment is highly preferred.
- Medical device and/or consumer medical device industry experience is preferred.
- Previous technical experience with advanced technologies and especially in the fields of Data Science, Wearable Devices, Sensors, and/or Robotics is preferred.
- Demonstrated success in partnering and influencing across a matrix environment is required.
- Strong technical expertise in the area of healthcare technologies and business acumen within strategic planning.
- Demonstrated track record of flawless execution is required.
- The ability to leverage relations with key constituents to deliver tangible results and clinical insights is required.
- Demonstrated effective change leadership and change management skills are required.
- Experience working in start-up environment or organizations with an Agile culture
- Professional attitude and service orientation; superb team player
- The ability to actively develop talent and culture to achieve results is required.
- Strong influencing skills are required.
- Position will be located in Providence, RI area. Temporary location in Raynham, MA will be considered but position will eventually be primarily located in Providence, RI upon completion of new facility. Position may also include up to 20% travel (domestic/international) depending on business needs.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-Rhode Island-Providence
North America-United States-Massachusetts-Raynham
Depuy Orthopaedics. Inc. (6029)