Johnson & Johnson Careers
DREXEL CO-OP IN BIOMATERIALS R&D
Requisition ID: 5984180314
DePuy Synthes, a member of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Biomaterials R&D Co-op located in West Chester, PA to support the Biomaterials Research and Development (R&D) Group.
The DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes offers an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
The Biomaterials R&D Group within DePuy Synthes develops products based on advanced biomaterials such as ceramic bone void fillers, bioabsorbable polymer implants, drug-device combination products, and cell-based therapies. We engage in early stage evaluation of new materials technologies, device design and development, manufacturing process development, and support of preclinical testing and regulatory submissions. The Biomaterials R&D group collaborates with other divisions within DePuy Synthes (Trauma, Spine, Joint Reconstruction, etc.), as well as surgeons, Regulatory Affairs, Marketing, Sales, and other functional departments to define and develop product concepts.
The Biomaterials R&D co-op will perform R&D activities in a team environment.
- They will assist scientists and engineers in our R&D laboratories to fabricate device prototypes, and may conduct mechanical, chemical, and performance testing to evaluate device performance.
- The co-op will conduct experiments and provide data, results analysis, and reports to project teams in a timeline driven process, and will contribute to the efficient operation of R&D laboratories.
- The co-op will exercise technical judgment in the design, execution and interpretation of experiments, and use professional concepts to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways.
- They will maintain a laboratory notebook and other technical documentation according to required guidelines.
- The co-op may be asked to provide other project or product support as needed in order to support Synthes’ business objectives.
- This position requires work in a Biosafety Level 2 lab, and requires less than 5% travel.
The successful candidate will have strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills, and should be observant and be able to think creatively. They will be able to learn quickly and work independently with minimal direct supervision. The candidate should have an interest in chemistry, biology, materials science, or medical device design and testing. A GPA of 3.0 or greater is preferred.
Candidate must be available to work full-time (40 hours/week) during the ~6 month co-op session. Students must be able to provide their own transportation to this location (some public transportation options are available). Students must be legally authorized to work in the United States and not require future sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g. H1-B status) now or in the future.
Qualified candidates must be a current University Engineering student. We are looking for candidates pursuing a degree in Ceramic Science & Engineering, Materials Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering.
We are looking for candidates that are highly motivated and can work independently on one or multiple projects under general direction and can exhibit an attention to detail. Establish and foster collaboration and partnership internally and externally. Has a good sense of priorities and manages time accordingly. Has strong communication skills (written and verbal), including experience presenting in front of multidisciplinary audiences, and attending team meeting face to face and by teleconference. Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office software is required as well as intermediate to advanced software skills with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint is required. Housing/relocation assistance would be considered if deemed appropriate.
United States-Pennsylvania-West Chester
Synthes USA Products, LLC (6317)