Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Sustaining Engineer (Endo-Mechanical)
Requisition ID: 5971190531
Ethicon, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Senior Sustaining Engineer (Endo-Mechanical) located in Cincinnati, OH and may require up to 50% travel depending on business needs.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
In this role you will:
- Work with internal and external teams to develop and support advanced surgical instruments.
- Lead the definition, design, development, and sustaining of key surgical instruments.
- Collaborate with internal and external customers, partners, and consultants to effectively communicate and deliver novel surgical instruments to market.
- Utilize QFD (quality function & deployment) JOC (jobs, outcomes & constraints), VOC (voice of customer) methodologies & surgical procedure knowledge to define product & design options.
- Apply knowledge of general engineering principles, materials, DFMA & reliability to achieve product design requirements.
- Work one-on-one with customer stakeholders to identify procedure and/or product opportunities and evaluate potential technical solutions.
- Interpret customer & marketing input to define technical design requirements and maintain idea notebooks.
- Develop free-body diagrams, calculate stress & strain values, and formulate tolerance stack-ups.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering is required (Mechanical Engineering preferred), an Advanced Degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant Engineering experience is required.
- A minimum of 2 years mechanical product design experience is required.
- Experience with CAD/CAM and design analysis software, and Statistical analysis techniques required.
- Experience in a FDA-regulated environment is highly preferred.
- Experience designing, developing, and launching medical products is highly preferred.
- Strong mechanical design and analysis skills, including an understanding of mechanical subsystem interface to overall system design is highly preferred.
- Experience developing and utilizing 3D CAD models, FMEA’s, GD&T, tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE’s, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis is highly preferred.
- Experience with root cause analysis is highly preferred.
- Strong understanding of design control activities and experience developing/executing design plans, design verification and validation are highly preferred.
- Experience with multi-disciplinary engineering, including: integrating sensors into mechanical designs, specifying embedded software that complements mechanical design, modeling and specifying the dynamic properties of mechanical systems for controls development, etc. is highly preferred.
- Experience with general design engineering and Design for Manufacturing (DFM) principles, Design to Cost (DTC), Design for Assembly (DFA), component manufacturing processes, tooling methodologies, material properties, and regulatory compliance preferred.
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the trade-offs and business impact is preferred.
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices, as well as the quality system / regulatory environment is desired.
- Experience building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations is preferred.
- Experience designing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports preferred.
- Experience conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc. is preferred.
- Experience with manufacturing processes and equipment is highly preferred.
- This position will be based in Cincinnati, OH and may require up to 50% travel depending on business needs.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)