Johnson & Johnson Careers
Staff Product Development Engineer, Robotics (Team Leader)
Requisition ID: 5836190130
DePuy Synthes, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Staff Product Development Engineer (Team Leader) with a preferred location of Warsaw, IN. Candidates will also be considered in Raynham, MA.
DePuy Synthes, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, provides one of the most comprehensive orthopedics portfolios in the world. DePuy Synthes solutions, in specialties including joint reconstruction, trauma, craniomaxillofacial, spinal surgery and sports medicine, are designed to advance patient care while delivering clinical and economic value to health care systems worldwide. For more information, visit www.depuysynthes.com.
The Staff Product Development Engineer (Team Leader) will be responsible for:
- Design and develop new instrumentation and procedural solutions pertaining to robotic enabled surgery.
- This includes communication with surgeons and sales consultants, understanding of clinical issues, defining the design parameters, and ensuring the correct product is provided to the customer.
- The design and development aspects of complex systems (electromechanical systems) and projects, technically leading cross-functional project teams through all phases of the product development process, and will often organize, plan, execute and oversee projects through product launch, commercialization, and post market surveillance.
- The candidate will act as a technical team leader and in some cases project leader as a member of a cross-functional project core team (marketing, manufacturing, quality, testing, supply chain etc.).
- The candidate will be responsible to work with surgeons, marketing and sales to define and refine design inputs, generate design concepts and prototypes independently, perform meaningful and timely design evaluations (such as tolerance analysis, FEA, simulated use testing, dry labs and wet tissue labs etc.), and oversee generation of documentation of clinical and surgical technique observations to create meaningful design solutions.
- The candidate will be responsible for initial patent review and freedom to operate activities from concept to launch.
- The candidate will also be responsible for development and execution of design verification and validation plans and activities, and test plan formation and execution to support global regulatory strategy.
- The Staff Product Development Engineer/Team Leader can mentor entry level engineers and will oversee manufacturing engineering and/or suppliers to optimize designs for manufacturability and assembly to produce functioning prototypes and supporting production documentation.
- The candidate must demonstrate strong proficiency in the application of design controls and development processes and will be responsible for all the designs from concept development through product launch.
- This individual should possess strong organizational skills to support all aspects of the project management functions including scope definition, budgeting, and contingency planning.
- The candidate must have a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and manage a varied workload, exhibit strong written and verbal communication skills, and interface effectively with peers, cross functional project teams, management, sales and surgeons.
- The individual will also be expected to have an expert knowledge of our product lines and detailed knowledge of various orthopaedic pathologies and may be an active participant in sales training and in providing ongoing product support to the field.
- The candidate will have up to four direct reports, and will be responsible for setting performance objectives, conducting performance reviews, and ensuring team compliance to all laws and applicable standards.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering with mechanics focus, or related Engineering degree is required.
- An advanced degree is desired.
- A minimum of six years of new product development experience or equivalent/relevant experience is required.
- Experience with medical devices (Surgical Robotics or Orthopedics) is highly preferred.
- Prior experience coaching and mentoring other engineers or project core team members is required.
- Experience in identifying user needs (VOC), material selection, ability to verify and validate design concepts, and understand design failure modes is required.
- Strong track record utilizing computer aided design (CAD) to develop a product is required. Experience with Unigraphics NX would be preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of various types of manufacturing, mechanisms, materials, proper tolerancing, drafting standards, and GD&T are required.
- Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) is required.
- Experience with FDA Medical Device guidelines is preferred.
- The candidate must have a demonstrated background in developing creative solutions to solve design problems.
- Must demonstrate a strong initiative and follow through in executing project responsibilities, overcoming obstacles and balancing multiple priorities effectively through strong technical and/or project leadership experience.
- A successful track record of leading and influencing others without authority, participating on cross-functional teams and solid negotiating skills to bring products from concept to launch is required.
- The ability to look beyond conventional solutions and familiarity with technologies extending beyond traditional orthopaedic therapies and products is desired.
- Experience with developing and launching sterile products is preferred.
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate concepts, ideas and knowledge to other individuals, surgeons, customers and/ or teams is required.
- Ability to work effectively as a technical leader and sometimes as a project leader is preferred.
- The ability to review and critically assess patents and other forms of intellectual property is preferred.
- This position will be based in Warsaw, IN, and may require up to 20% travel.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)