Johnson & Johnson Careers
Principal Mechanical Engineer (Ophthalmology)
Requisition ID: 5687180702
Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision (JJSV) is recruiting for an Principal Electromechanical Engineer to be located in Santa Ana, CA.
JJSV designs, manufactures, and distributes products for the surgical treatment of anterior segment ophthalmic disorders, most notably cataract removal.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
The Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision goal is improving sight throughout a patient’s lifetime. J&J Surgical Vision is well positioned to address a full range of vision health needs for global markets: The No. 2 global provider of CATARACT products and a leader in presbyopia-correcting IOLs, the Global REFRACTIVE (LASIK) market leader, all supported with a CONSUMER EYE HEALTH diverse portfolio of solutions and drops. Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision has operations in the United States, Latin America, Asia-Pacific and Europe/Middle East/Africa regions. Research, innovation and new-product development are the focus of our organization. Our associates around the world are committed to expanding our brands and fortifying our position as the worldwide leader in the industry.
The primary responsibility of this individual is directly responsible for participating in and occasionally leads product development teams and/or cross functional teams in the development of new and innovative technologies and products. Performs high level research and development functions supporting the development of new products and processes. Uses creativity and innovation to develop solutions to complex problems. Ensures solutions are consistent with organization objectives. Provides advanced design and technical engineering expertise and solutions for mechanical and mechanical process interaction issues. Adheres to environmental policy, procedures, and supports department environmental objectives. Engages in Credo-based decision-making.
- Technical leadership.
- Research, brainstorm, and iterate ideas and concepts. Suggest ideas and concepts with a high likelihood of technical and clinical success to the development team for potential new product development.
- Apply mechanical engineering principals to the design of electromechanical systems; solid understanding of electrical engineering principals is a must.
- Develop test methods and procedures to evaluate multiple device performances at the various stages of the prototype cycle.
- Maintain accurate documentation of concepts, designs, drawings, and procedures. Generate written protocols, reports, and technical justifications/summaries.
- Maintain current knowledge of competitive technologies in the ophthalmic instrumentation space.
- Work closely with surgeons and KOLs in both a pre-clinical and clinical settings. Strong knowledge and understanding of ophthalmology and eye anatomy highly desired.
- Work with surgeons to understand market needs, gather relevant feedback for concepts and procedural methods, and perform bench-top testing.
- Present relevant results and findings to team, management, and KOLs.
- Contributes to the creation of product specifications for current and future products.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s Degree in the field of Engineering is required.
- A Master’s Degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering is highly preferred.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of significant engineering required.
- Design experience with mechanical and electro-mechanical devices is required.
- Solid understanding of electrical engineering principals is required.
- Demonstrated Mechanical Engineering competency with ophthalmic instrumentation or solid knowledge of the ophthalmic industry practices and standards is required.
- Must possesses a strong technical knowledge and application of concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to work on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data involves multiple competing factors.
- Ability to exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Proven ability to interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators; Listens to and understands others' points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one's own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Ability to works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced, goal-driven environment.
- Must Possess interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
- This position is located in Santa Ana, CA and may require up to 10% travel domestically and/or internationally.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-California-Santa Ana
AMO US Holdings, Inc.. (6234)
R&D Engineering (R&D)