Johnson & Johnson Careers
R&D Staff Engineer, Front-End Product Innovation
R&D Engineering (R&D)
Requisition ID: 5624190213
Biosense Webster, Inc (BWI), a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is hiring an R&D Staff Engineer, Front-End Product Innovation, to be located in Irwindale, California.
Biosense Webster, Inc. is the global leader in the science of diagnosing and treating heart rhythm disorders. The company established its leadership in electrophysiology with the development of the first real-time, 3D cardiac mapping and navigation technology, as well as the first electrophysiology catheter. The introduction of the company’s CARTO® 3 System in 2009 revolutionized 3D mapping technology by increasing the accuracy, speed, and efficiency of the cardiac ablation procedure.
Atrial fibrillation (AFIB) is a quivering or irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) that can lead to blood clots, stroke, heart failure and other heart-related complications. 20 million people around the world suffer from AFIB each year.
The R&D Staff Engineer, Front-End Product Innovation will provide lead technical support for identifying and screening new products and opportunities driven by Biosense Webster customers. The work is expected to result in the development of new or improved techniques and/or procedures and the development of new or refined equipment, materials, processes, products, and/or methods.
- Translate proposed customer concepts into design ideas via modeling, prototyping and hands-on activities.
- Prototype design and performing feasibility assessments at a rapid pace.
- Works on most assignments with instructions about the general results expected.
- Receive technical guidance on the most unusual or complex problems, but independently resolves and develops approaches to solutions.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Erroneous decisions or recommendations or failure to get results would normally result in serious program/project delay and considerable expenditure or resources.
- Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields.
- Makes decisions independently on engineering problems and methods and represents the organization in conferences to resolve important questions and to plan and coordinate work.
- Requires the use of advanced techniques and the modification and extension of theories, precepts and practices of his/her field and related sciences and disciplines.
- Supervision and guidance related largely to overall requirements, critical issues, new concepts, and policy matters. Will consult with supervisor concerning unusual problems and developments.
- In a supervisory capacity, plans, develops, coordinates, and directs large & small engineering projects with many complex features.
- As an individual researcher, carries out complex or novel assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques or procedures.
- Develop and evaluates plans and criteria for a variety of projects and activities for the project team.
- Assess the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering evaluation tests, products or equipment when necessary data are insufficient or confirmation by testing is advisable.
- Perform as a staff consultant on a technical specialty, a type of facility or equipment, or a program function.
- Work hands-on in a laboratory to both prototype and evaluate feasibility of prototypes.
- Collaborate with physicians.
- Thoroughly document all work.
- Technically supervise, coordinate and review the work of a small staff of engineers and technicians, estimates manpower needs and schedules and assigns work to meet completion date, or, as individual researcher or staff specialist may be assisted on projects by other engineers or technicians.
- Practice company safety and quality policies and procedures.
- The position actively requires conformance.
- Responsible for ensuring personal and company compliance with all Federal, State, local and company regulations, policies and procedures.
- Purchase or design of equipment that meets health, safety and environmental standards set by the company.
- Perform design reviews and pre-validation assessments to ensure the safe and environmentally sound start-up of new processes.
- Communicate business related issues or opportunities to next management level.
- Ensure subordinates follow all Company guidelines related to Health, Safety and Environmental practices and that all resources needed to do so are available and in good condition.
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineer or relevant discipline required.
- 6 years of related engineering experience required.
- Complex engineering experience required.
- Deep understanding of theoretical and practical fundamentals and experimental engineering techniques required.
- Strong English interpersonal skills, written and oral required.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks or equivalent program required.
- Ability to demonstrate a consistent track record of leading design & innovation work and proving feasibility for manufacturing transfer of design required.
- Experience in the medical device, and/or pharma, and/or life science/biotech industry is preferred
- Catheter manufacturing & electrophysiology industry experience is preferred and a plus.
- An Advanced Degree, MS, and/or PhD is preferred.
- Medical device design experience is a plus or similar work within a regulated industry.
- Knowledge base of various manufacturing methods used in the industry i.e. extrusion, injection molding, machining preferred.
- The position is located in Irwindale, CA and may require <20% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Biosense Webster Inc. (6010)
R&D Engineering (R&D)