Johnson & Johnson Careers
Staff Research & Testing Engineer
R&D Engineering (R&D)
Requisition ID: 5556190523
DePuy Synthes is hiring a Staff Research & Testing Engineer in the Raynham, MA area.
DePuy Synthes, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, provides one of the most comprehensive orthopedics portfolios in the world. DePuy Synthes solutions, in specialties including joint reconstruction, trauma, craniomaxillofacial, spinal surgery and sports medicine, are designed to advance patient care while delivering clinical and economic value to health care systems worldwide. For more information, visit www.depuysynthes.com.\
The Staff Research & Testing Engineer will collaborate with a project team on design characterization, verification and risk assessment of spinal implants and instrumentation. This includes communication with multiple disciplines, understanding of clinical issues, defining the clinically relevant testing parameters, applicable industry standards, and ensuring results are distributed to the teams. This role may require the management of others within the group performing a similar role.
You will be responsible for the mechanical testing aspects of a project, participating on multi-functional project team through all phases of the product development process, and assisting the technical team with planning executing, documenting and communicating testing activities. These activities include:
• Ability to manage numerous projects and direct reports
• Ensure effective and efficient use of Quality Engineering techniques such as risk analysis, test method development and validation, statistical data analysis, sampling plans, failure investigations, and corrective/preventive actions.
• Mentor others in assessing the effect of design changes on mechanical performance, creation of technical documents, decision trees and standard methodologies
• Clearly and professionally communicate test findings, technical challenges, and proposed resolutions to teams and management
• Ability to coordinate lab resources, people and equipment and communicate performance metrics and potential bottlenecks to management
• Review, understand and provide suggestions on complex testing documentation including data analysis and statistical methods
• Interpret industry (ASTM) & company standards and author test methods that are consistent and compliant
• Analysis of data using complex statistical tools and Six Sigma Design Tools (Gauge R&R, DOE, Weibull Distributions)
• Actively participate in the creation and review of test plans and risk assessments (DFMEA)
• Plan, direct, and conduct laboratory and field testing of products
• Conduct the testing including, configuration of hardware (Instron, MTS), software (Partners, Bluehills) to meet testing requirements
• Design & direct construction of test systems to simulate use for verification & durability testing
• Lead and review the design of fixturing & testing layouts utilizing CAD tools
• Review complaint investigation documentation that utilizes fracture analysis techniques including SEM
• Document lab activities utilizing good documentation practices (GDP)
• Ability to work with Project Management, Quality, Product Development, Regulatory or Manufacturing Engineers
• Others duties as requested
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or related field required.
• 5 years of medical device engineering or equivalent (in a highly regulated industry) is required.
• Confirmed understanding of different types of manufacturing, mechanisms, materials, and test equipment is required.
• Consistent record utilizing statistics, Experience with Design Excellence/ Six Sigma methodologies such as Gauge R&R, Weibull Distributions and Design of Experiment (DOE) is a requirement.
• Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Project etc) and Mini-Tab is required.
• Proven ability to prioritize tasks and handle a dynamic workload, exhibit strong written and verbal interpersonal skills and interface effectively with project teams, management and surgeons is required.
• Demonstrate people leadership and development skills through direct or indirect authority while maintaining your individual workload is required.
• Ability to lead and develop others is required
• Master’s Degree preferred.
• Competence in static and cyclic testing, data acquisition, and general test engineering methodologies preferred.
• Knowledge of ASTM Standards preferred.
• Experience with medical devices (Spine or Orthopedic) is highly preferred.
• CAD skills in Unigraphics or Pro-E preferred.
• Strength in leading a team with aspects of the project management functions including scope definition, and contingency planning is preferred.
• Working knowledge of various spinal pathologies is preferred
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)