Johnson & Johnson Careers
Scientific Director, Discovery Chemistry
Spring House, Pennsylvania
Requisition ID: 5432190531
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientific Director in Discovery Chemistry, for our major research site in Spring House, PA. At Janssen, a Scientific Director can serve as a people manager and/or scientific leader.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
Discovery Chemistry is a stand-alone organization within Discovery Sciences. It is committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates working with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams. This mission requires strategic thinking, portfolio mindset and deep scientific expertise in several disciplines including chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Scientific Director, Discovery Chemistry. This position will be based at our integrated drug discovery site in Spring House, PA.
This position will require the candidate to possess and leverage deep knowledge and capabilities to deliver differentiated clinical candidates to the Janssen product development pipeline within our Disease and Pathway Area Stronghold (DAS and PAS) strategy. Using a mix of internal and external resources, the Scientific Director will partner with key stakeholders in the Therapeutic Areas and other internal groups, represent medicinal chemistry and lead cross-functional project teams, and be co-responsible for building, managing, and delivering high quality clinical molecules. Responsibilities of the Scientific Director will include:
• Serve as project leader and program core team leader to set program and chemistry strategies, drive and direct medicinal chemistry functions for two or more drug discovery projects, working in concert with partners in parallel medicinal chemistry, HTE, discovery process research, pharmaceutical sciences, molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other key functions
• Participate in portfolio and stage-gate reviews, lead the preparation and presentation of dossiers for clinical candidate nomination and compound advancement
• Analyze screening data, perform literature reviews, design, propose, and execute medicinal chemistry plans, coordinate chemistry and biology data to support compound progression and patent strategies
• Supervise and direct synthetic / medicinal chemistry activities at contract research organizations (CROs)
• Lead shaping and implementing strategies that support medicinal chemistry growth objectives at Janssen, including modalities, affinity screening strategies and collaborations or internal build of capabilities
• Serve as a scientific expert in medicinal chemistry with both internal and external partners and provide recommendations regarding new targets and emerging external opportunities. Assume leadership roles in due diligences and represent Discovery Chemistry.
• Provide chemistry drug discovery insights and objective assessment(s) to various stakeholders including colleagues in Discovery Sciences, the J&J Innovation Centers, and across multiple Therapeutic Areas.
• Ensure optimal interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to Discovery Chemistry & TA leadership
• May have direct or indirect management responsibilities when leading projects or teams
• Talent: identify and develop talent across the organization with the goal of building and sustaining a high performing team with an eye towards succession planning. Champion and operationalize employee development.
• PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry is required
• Postdoctoral experience is preferred
• A minimum of 10 or more years’ experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with a proven track record of leading innovative drug discovery projects and providing key contributions to clinical candidate selection is required.
• People management experience demonstrated by leading a team of 4+ chemists as a manager or as a scientific supervisor leveraging chemistry manpower in a matrixed fashion, is preferred.
• The ideal candidate would have a successful track record in drug discovery and program leadership in progressing multiple candidates in to clinical development. Progression to Phase 1B or 2A proof-of-concept Go/NoGo decision points, is preferred.
• Comprehensive knowledge and expertise in building program strategies with focus on biomarker plans, target engagement approaches and translational PK/PD is preferred.
• Exposure to clinical development via service or leadership of discovery and/or early clinical development teams, is preferred.
• Successful track record of leading and/or serving on recruitment committees, outreach and building academic relations with top tier chemistry departments at universities, is preferred.
• An unparalleled ability to interact collegially with biology leaders and their discovery teams to set the strategic direction for TA portfolios to drive early discovery programs to critical decision points, is required.
• Excellent communication skills for presenting program strategy, issues, mitigation plans and milestones to governance committees and senior leadership, is required.
• Broad experience and proven accomplishments in medicinal chemistry, with operational skills for managing discovery programs at the level of a senior chemist/team leader and a proven track record of delivering clinical candidates is required
• Expert knowledge of modern methods of synthetic and medicinal chemistry with ability to successfully and simultaneously conduct medicinal chemistry on multiple projects is required
• Solid understanding of cellular/molecular biology, biochemistry, disease pharmacology, mechanisms of drug metabolism and molecular toxicology, pharmaco-kinetic and pharmaco-dynamic sciences, and formulations for the in vivo evaluation of drug candidates is required
•Collaboration or ability to collaborate with Scientists who have experience with computational chemistry methods and biophysical techniques such as X-ray crystallography and macromolecular NMR is required
• Ability to integrate multiple R&D disciplines into a successful strategic project plan is required
• Strong problem-solving skills for developing creative, innovative solutions, and meeting project objectives are required
• Demonstrated influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to succeed within a matrix environment are required
• Experience in managing project budgets, aligning actions with overall strategy, and supporting business cases for decision-making is preferred
• Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and presentations at major national meetings is required
• Broad experience in the assessment of molecules identified from divergent small molecule screening campaigns with an ability to design and oversee execution of rational triage strategies to deliver tractable chemical leads to discovery teams is preferred.
• Noteworthy visibility in the external scientific community as demonstrated with high impact publications, presentations and review articles is required
• Up to 10% travel both domestically and internationally is required
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-1400�McKean�Road
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)