Johnson & Johnson Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
R&D ASSOCIATE PRODUCT DESIGN ENGINEER, ENDOMECH/ENERGY
Requisition ID: 5426180307
Ethicon Endo- Surgery, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a R&D Associate Product Design Engineer supporting the EndoMech/Energy franchise, located in Cincinnati, OH.
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. Ethicon combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Design Engineer executes specific & general assignments/projects that provide innovative, functional, cost effective & validated product designs in a team based environment.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Apply knowledge of general engineering principles, materials, DFMA & reliability to achieve product design requirements.
- Work one-on-one with customer stakeholders to identify procedure and/or product opportunities and evaluate potential technical solutions.
- Interpret customer & marketing input to define technical design requirements.
- Maintain idea notebooks.
- Utilize QFD (quality function & deployment) JOC (jobs, outcomes & constraints), VOC (voice of customer) methodologies & surgical procedure knowledge to define product & design options.
- Provide innovative product, system & component design solutions.
- Perform detailed design analysis & provide input or approval for detailed design specifications.
- Establish appropriate testing strategy to insure adequate safety factors or margins.
- Perform product testing to insure adequate safety factors or margins.
- Formalize concepts, breadboards & prototyping. Provide support to patent attorneys for patent filing.
- Consult with materials technology group for biomaterial approvals.
- Assist in developing & monitoring project plan, budget, contingency plans & work estimation.
- Coordinate integration of complex sub-system product designs.
- Provide technical leadership to product development team.
- Learn medical terminology, procedures & instrumentation.
- Provide peer feedback & may mentor junior associates as required.
- Develop free-body diagrams, calculate stress & strain values, and formulate tolerance stack-ups.
- Develop error budget analyses of electromagnetic & electromechanical systems.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned & not all responsibilities listed may be assigned.
- BS or MS engineering degree (preferably Mechanical Engineering), minimum of 1 year of design-related experience, including co-op or college internships, required, (preferably in medical device or regulated industry working in a team base environment).
- Knowledge of general design engineering and DFMA principles, component manufacturing processes, tooling methodologies, material properties, and regulatory compliance required.
- Experience with CAD/CAM and design analysis software, and Statistical analysis techniques is required.
- This role will also requires demonstrated technical leadership capabilities with experience working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Experience working with Vendors and Suppliers is required .
- Basic knowledge & understanding of medical regulatory requirements is a asset for this role.
- Technical writing is required with protocols, testing results, procedures, status & special reports as preferred.
- Project management skills are an asset.
- Knowledge & understanding of medical regulations & their impact on business, ISO (International Organization for Standardization) & GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices).
- Information & risk analysis skills are preferred.
- Quality, statistical process controls are assets.
- Knowledge of part manufacturing processes & tooling methodologies are assets.
- Effective team interpersonal skills.
- Conflict analysis & resolution.
- Consulting, design review, & constructive feedback
- Negotiating (e.g., internal & external customers), Networking, Able to adapt to shifting priorities, Able to handle rapid pace environment. Able to resolve problems / conflicts, Able to take initiative & be self-managing.
- General design engineering principles, Design of experiments (DOE), DFMA (design for manufacturing and assembly) principles, Patent interpretation, Mechanical testing): Free-body & stress-strain analysis is required & FEA (finite element analysis) ,Geometric tolerance & tolerance stack-up analysis (GD&T).
- Gage repeatability & re-calibration system & methodology, Plastic resins, ferrous & nonferrous metals, adhesives & sealants.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)