Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Director, Federal Affairs, Medical Devices
Requisition ID: 5334190430
Johnson & Johnson is recruiting for a Senior Director, Federal Affairs, Medical Devices in Washington, D.C.
Caring for the world, one person at a time, has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $81 billion in 2018 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices and diagnostics markets. There are more than 265 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 126,500 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Senior Director, Federal Affairs, Medical Devices will lead the Federal Affairs medical device team and relevant partners to support J&J priority initiatives, product portfolio and to develop and manage policy/legislative/political issues with key business leaders and stakeholders. This individual will lead efforts to identify business risks and opportunities, and to develop & execute legislative/regulatory/government solutions & strategies that maximize the value of the J&J medical device business and US based industry initiatives.
Will deliver coordinated Federal Government Affairs initiatives that advance the interests & priorities of the J&J North America medical device business and relevant partners and organizations. The Senior Director, Federal Affairs, Medical Devices will represent the Government Affairs & Policy (GA&P) function in partnership with the North America J&J Medical Device leadership team, the Global Medical Device Council and with Global Health Policy (GHP); staff senior executives externally and lead engagements with the Advanced Medical Technology Association (AdvaMed); the Medical Device Manufacturers Association (MDMA); and other industry-based trade associations including the Healthcare Leadership Council (HLC), coalitions and life-sciences organizations.
Strategic Leadership Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and direct federal lobbying activities in support of the corporation’s legislative and policy priorities related to the J&J NA medical device business.
- Lead a team of lobbyists who have daily responsibility for leading legislation and regulatory efforts to shape the external environment and to influence decisions by policy makers and elected officials.
- Represent the corporation both internally and externally on federal affairs matters relating to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Food and Drug Administration, congressional relations, Administration outreach, relevant trade associations (primarily AdvaMed) and affiliated patient and provider stakeholder organizations.
- Lead internal and external government affairs activities related to the J&J’s medical technology/device businesses, including all the business unit focus orthopedics, cardiovascular, surgery, robotics, vision care, digital health, and specialty surgical and serve as a senior liaison between the business and J&J Government Affairs & Policy.
- Serve as an active leader and member of the Federal Affairs Leadership team.
- Collaborate with specific franchises and represent the J&J enterprise on numerous broader-based healthcare issues and activities.
- Develop and manage health care policy and corporate priority assignments within US Government Affairs as determined by manager to include building and maintaining relationships with identified stakeholders i.e.: congressional caucuses, patient, provider and other professional societies and stakeholder organizations.
- Direct external policy consultants, engage and manage key stakeholder industry coalitions, and collaborate with J&J Global Health Policy and State Government Affairs.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- An advanced degree with concentration in healthcare policy, law, political science, communications or business administration is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in government, government affairs, healthcare policy and/or public policy arena is required.
- A proven record of success in healthcare policy development and advocacy is required.
- Experience in medical technology, life sciences and industry relations is an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of Federal government policy and legislative process is required.
- Previous experience managing a team, including team and individual talent development, recruitment, and retention is strongly preferred.
- The ability to manage internal colleagues and external policy consultants, engage key stakeholder industry coalitions, and collaborate with state government affairs is required.
- Familiarity and experience with the medical technology industry trade associations, congressional staff, and other industry stakeholders is required.
- Must be a self-starter with exceptional initiative and ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated success in complex, cross-functional organizations is required.
- A thorough understanding of fundamental principles with the legislative and regulatory making processes, as well as the geopolitical environment is required.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to present regularly to internal and external senior leaders and government officials.
- Must be able to travel up to 25% of the time to domestic and on occasion, international destinations.
- This position is based in Washington, D.C.
United States-District of Columbia-Washington-
Johnson & Johnson Services Inc. (6090)