Johnson & Johnson Careers
PROJECT DIRECTOR FRONT END R&D, SURGICAL ROBOTICS
Requisition ID: 5018190123
Ethicon is recruiting for a Project Director, Front-End R&D, located in Cincinnati, Ohio
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Project Director, Front-End R&D, Digital Surgery, is responsible for leading multiple exploratory programs for our robotics / digital surgery R&D group. The primary focus of these programs is to translate customer unmet needs across surgical procedures and specialties to define viable solutions, assess feasibility, and advance the programs into our R&D pipeline. This position focus is to effectively leverage market insights and internal and external innovation to build an ongoing cadence of innovative, valuable products.
- Lead efforts to define areas of customer need and work with partner organizations to define the strategy, opportunity, and business trade-offs.
- Define and execute programs of varying scope to test potential solutions based on clear strategies to address key questions.
- Lead cross-functional teams to execute multiple feasibility programs across multiple specialties and procedures
- Work with and influence partner groups to gain alignment & support for technical and product solutions.
- Define work plans to advance programs through Ethicon’s stage gate process; ensure projects are executed in compliance with requirements
- Assemble & disseminate knowledge acquired during projects to improve overall innovation processes and future product opportunities
- Directly oversee assigned team.
- Establish & assign roles & responsibilities; provide constructive feedback & coaching to team members & support personnel to assist in skills development.
- Participate as a senior manager to improve environment & business systems of Ethicon
- Provide direct communication to management on progress, opportunities & issues. Obtain resources from functional organizations, support groups & outside sources to ensure project success
- Continuously re-evaluate project to determine validity of concept assumptions.
- Cultivate partnership within team & between team & other groups.
- Provide career development guidance to direct reports.
- Provide individual performance appraisals & compensation adjustment recommendations to management.
- BS / BA in engineering, a scientific field, marketing, or general business required.
- Advanced technical degree or MBA desirable.
Experience and Skills:
- 10+ years experience in product development or marketing / general management of complex engineered devices. Consistent track record of accomplishment in defining customer needs and technical strategy and executing on that strategy.
- Experience in medical or regulated industries highly desired.
- Knowledge of the surgical environment, market, and procedures is highly desired.
- 3+ years experience leading professional engineering and technical staff
- Business maturity – ability to define business opportunities and trade off business, technical, and clinical needs to define optimum strategy
- Direct experience working across company and organizational boundaries, in many cases without direct authority, to establish relationships, define mutual goals, and collaborate to meet objectives.
- Experience translating high-level customer clinical needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact; ability to work in ambiguity and lead others in ambiguity
- Strong collaboration and teaming skills with cross-functional teams
- Ability to articulate complex business, clinical, and technical issues and opportunities at many levels of the organization.
Domestic and international travel of up to 25%
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)