Johnson & Johnson Careers
Project Manager, Scrum Master
Requisition ID: 4930180622
DePuy Synthes, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Project Manager, Scrum Master in our Digital Robotic Surgery organization to be located in Providence, RI. Temporary location in Raynham, MA will be considered however candidate will be expected to be primarily based out of Providence, RI upon completion of new facility.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Project Manager, Scrum Master works alongside developers and product owners on software engineering projects. This individual will emphasize value creation and rigorous adherence to quality standards. In protecting the team from outside interference, the Scrum Master ensures that developers can retain this commitment to excellence.
This position will have a focus on team dynamics and communication between individuals. The Scrum Master uses reporting and metrics as positive indicators of the team’s capabilities and maturity. Scrum ceremonies are used to facilitate communication between members of the team (Sprint Retrospectives) and between the team and the product stakeholders (Sprint Review). The Scrum Master acts to ensure communication is efficient and participation is broad. The Scrum Master coaches the team in using JIRA and Confluence for managing and documenting development work.
The Project Manager, Scrum Master advocates for proper Agile implementation across Johnson & Johnson Technology Services and works with Product Owners to extend that understanding of Agile to business stakeholders.
The individual will have delivery-focused responsibilities guiding software engineers, robotics engineers, UI developers, UX designers and software testers in the execution and completion of project activities to meet key milestones, quality and budget targets.
The Project Manager, Scrum Master primary responsibilities include:
- Providing oversight and management of multiple projects across the department
- Working with product owners to deliver business value sprint after sprint
- Coaching the team on Agile practices in the context of the Scrum framework
- Guiding the team to self-organize and problem-solve
- Fill in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum framework with other Agile techniques
- Help the team find a sustainable pace, work with the team on developing useful estimation techniques
- Removing impediments to development. Building trust and open lines of communication so impediments are readily identified
- Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem solving
- Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and circulating information
- Supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially with respect to maintaining the product backlog
- Providing support to the team using a servant leadership style and leading by example
- A Bachelor's degree is required; A Bachelor’s degree in IT, business, or in Computer Science is preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of broad experience in software development and technology services is required.
- Experience within a large enterprise, global organization is preferred.
- Experience working with healthcare technology or in a regulated environment is preferred.
- Broad technical delivery experience is required.
- First level Scrum Master certification (CSM, PSM I) is required. Additional certifications are preferred.
- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least 2 years for a software development team is required.
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously and/or handling project portfolio oversight is highly preferred.
- Experience applying Scrum principles, practice and theory for robotics, embedded software or software medical devices is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc. is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with other Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games is preferred.
- Good skills and knowledge of servant-leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency is required.
- Knowledge of numerous well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (example: numerous burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc.) is required.
- Ability to learn the technologies used by the team is preferred.
- This position may require up to 15% travel and is located in Providence, RI. Temporary location in Raynham, MA will be considered however candidate will be expected to be primarily based out of Providence, RI upon completion of new facility.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)