Johnson & Johnson Careers
SENIOR ROBOT CONTROLS SOFTWARE ENGINEER, SURGICAL ROBOTICS
Requisition ID: 4821190121
Ethicon is currently recruiting for a Senior Robotic Controls / Software Engineer - R&D, located in Cincinnati, OH OR Mountain View, CA.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Senior Robotic Controls / SW Engineer, R&D, will work with internal and external teams to develop highly articulated surgical instruments to interface with a novel surgical robot. You will collaborate with internal and external customers, partners, and consultants to effectively communicate and deliver novel surgical instruments to market. You will be responsible for conceptualizing, designing, and implementing robotic control strategies for surgical devices, and leading architecture design to achieve device solutions.
- You will design and build prototypes and systems for testing, and will set up and run laboratory simulations to evaluate the stability, reliability, and performance of control systems.
- You will design test procedures, oversee tests, analyze results, and develop written reports.
- You will conduct and/or participate in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, software, and designs for instruments, systems, and interfaces.
- You will be a key contact in the relationship between Ethicon and Verb Surgical.
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or other related fields, required.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or other related fields, strongly preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- 5+ years of experience of SW development in one of the following areas: Robotics, Controls and Motion Planning, VR/AR, Physics Simulations, SLAM, Mapping and Localization or Sensor Fusion.
- Experience developing real-time SW in C++ with strong debugging skills
- Strong background in object-oriented programming
- Experience creating physical models of dynamic systems in simulation tools such as Matlab/Simulink to develop prototype control systems and code-generation toolchains, required.
- Experience in the development of control algorithms (Model Based Design and C-code) to meet functional, regulatory, and functional safety requirements, preferred. Strong programming skills in scripting languages, such as Python, required.
- Specialization in modern and classical control theory (stability analysis, frequency and time domain analysis, continuous-and discrete-time systems, state space analysis), preferred.
- Experience in the implementation of real-time embedded controls systems such as QNX, preferred.
- A deep understanding of data acquisition and network communication systems (CAN, CANOpen, Ethernet), preferred.
- Deep understanding of electro-mechanical mechanism design, required (medical or surgical instruments is a plus).
- A strong background in robotics and motion control (experience controlling robotic end-effectors), preferred.
- Excellent collaboration and teaming skills.
- A passion for changing the future of surgery
North America-United States-California-Mountain View, United States-Ohio-Cincinnati
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)