Johnson & Johnson Careers
LEAD STAFF DESIGN ENGINEER, R&D, SURGICAL ROBOTICS
Requisition ID: 4811190121
Ethicon is recruiting for a Lead Staff Design Engineer, R&D, located in Cincinnati, Ohio
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Lead Staff Design Engineer will work within the Surgical Robotics R&D group to develop and commercialize first-to-market advanced surgical instruments for our Digital Surgery Platform
- Lead a team of engineers through the definition, design, development, implementation, and integration of key advanced surgical instruments.
- Collaborate with internal and external customers, partners, and consultants to effectively communicate and deliver novel surgical instruments to market.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related science/engineering degree is required, with an Advanced Degree preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 7 years mechanical product design experience is required. Experience in a medical devices or other regulated environment is highly preferred.
- Experience designing, developing, and launching complex medical or surgical products.
- Strong mechanical design and analysis skills, including architecting entire devices with appropriate interface requirements for sub-systems.
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the trade-offs and business impact.
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices, as well as the quality system and regulatory environment.
- The ability to define and utilize 3D CAD models, FMEA’s, GD&T, tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE’s, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis.
- Strong collaboration and teaming skills to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), Design to Cost (DTC), and working with other team members and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations.
- Designing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
- Strong understand of design control; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation.
Domestic and international travel of up to 25%
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)