Johnson & Johnson Careers
SENIOR DESIGN ENGINEER NPD, SURGICAL ROBOTICS
Requisition ID: 4810190121
Ethicon is recruiting for a Senior Design Engineer, Front-End R&D, located in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Senior Design Engineer, Front-End R&D, will support the identification and feasibility of future technologies and applications concept to transfer into our Surgical Robotics product development pipeline.
- Collaborate on early-stage projects to demonstrate business and technical feasibility and define further investment.
- Work with commercial teams to determine the need, clinical relevance, and strategic drivers of potential product offerings.
- Collaborate with internal cross-functional teams and external partners to define and execute feasibility programs to answer key technical, clinical, and commercial questions.
- Define next steps and future product development activities to transfer new programs into our new product development process.
- Establish and maintain strong, productive relationships and collaborations across internal, external, and partner organizations.
- A BS or MS in an engineering discipline is required (Mechanical preferred)
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 5 years engineering and product development experience in a regulated, interdisciplinary product development environment
- Possess previous co-op, internship or work experience. preferred
- Demonstrated experience in medical device product development lifecycle, from definition through commercialization. Understanding of project management and New Product Development lanning for complex medical devices is preferred.
- Outstanding communication, collaboration, and teaming skills with internal teams, external partners, and direct customer interaction
- Strong mechanical design and analysis skills, including architecting sub-systems and devices with appropriate interface requirements.
- Systems-based design experience, including integration of cross-disciplinary technologies
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact.
- Direct experience with surgical devices, as well as relevant procedures and unmet needs is preferred
- The ability to develop and utilize 3D CAD models, FMEA’s, GD&T, tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE’s, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis.
- Ability to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), Design to Cost (DTC), and working with other team members and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations.
- Designing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports.
Domestic and international travel of up to 25%
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)