Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Engineer Research & Development, Life Cycle Management
Requisition ID: 4793190913
DePuy Synthes Mitek Sports Medicine, a member of Johnson & Johnson’s Family of Companies is recruiting for a Senior Engineer, Research & Development in Raynham, MA.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, cranio-maxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we have created one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today’s evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
DePuy Synthes Mitek Sports Medicine, develops, manufactures and markets innovative solutions for a wide range of minimally invasive mobility therapies.
The Senior Engineer, R&D Life Cycle Management will be responsible for the product design of surgical instrumentation and electro-mechanical devices for arthroscopic soft tissue repair. This role will be responsible for all technical development aspects of the project, as well as providing leadership (both technical and organizational) through all phases of the product development process, including planning through product launch. You will work closely with other members of the project core team (marketing, manufacturing, quality, regulatory, etc.) and surgeons to define user needs, generate design concepts and prototypes, perform design evaluations (such as tolerance analysis, FEA, simulated use testing, etc.), and develop product validation and verification plans and testing.
The Senior Engineer, Research & Development will develop solutions, through computer (CAD) modeling and drafting, including detailed mechanism design with a focus on small parts. The role will require prototype manufacturing through creating solutions from off-the-shelf parts, 3D printing, and working with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to optimize designs for manufacturability and produce prototypes. You will develop clinically relevant test methods appropriate to each product, and determine feasibility of the product in question through benchtop and simulated use testing. This role will have a focus on hands-on application of engineering methods and principles, and will require strong technical skills. You should demonstrate proficiency in the application of design controls and development processes, while executing in a timely and efficient manner. You should have a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and manage a varied workload, exhibit strong written and verbal communication skills and interface effectively with project teams, management and surgeons. The individual will also be expected to develop an expert knowledge of our product lines and detailed knowledge of various orthopedic pathologies, and will be an active participant in gathering input from medical professionals.
This position may require up to 10% travel.
- A minimum of a BA/BS degree in Engineering plus 6 years of experience OR an MS/ME degree in Engineering plus 4 years of experience is required. A degree in Biomedical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering would be preferred.
- Previous experience leading the technical development of a commercialized product.
- Experience in identifying user needs, medical device design principles, and material selection; the ability to verify and validate design concepts and understand and evaluate design failure modes.
- Experience utilizing computer aided design (CAD) to develop a product is required; experience with Pro Engineer is preferred.
- Knowledge of finite element analysis and other analytical tools.
- Demonstrated understanding of various types of mechanisms, materials, proper tolerancing, drafting standards, and GD&T.
- Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc).
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills. Must have the ability to effectively communicate concepts, ideas and knowledge to other individuals, surgeons, customers and/ or teams.
- Proven ability to work effectively as a critical core base business team member responsible from maintaining product continuity in the field
- Demonstrated background in developing creative solutions to solve design problems with efficiency.
- Demonstrated strong initiative and follow through in executing project responsibilities, overcoming obstacles and balancing multiple priorities and projects effectively.
- A successful track record of working independently, solving technical problems with creative solutions, identifying all critical aspects of a design, and bringing products from concept to launch.
- Experience with medical devices.
- Experience with Design Excellence or Design for Six Sigma.
- Ability to look beyond conventional solutions and familiarity with technologies extending beyond traditional orthopedic therapies and products.
- Ability to review and critically assess patents and other forms of intellectual property.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
DePuy Synthes Products, Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)