Johnson & Johnson Careers
STAFF ELECTRO MECHANICAL ENGINEER, SURGICAL ROBOTICS
Requisition ID: 4787190121
Ethicon is recruiting for a Staff Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer, R&D, located in Cincinnati, Ohio
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Staff Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer, Front-End R&D, will be driving early-stage projects from concept to feasibility and helping transfer new ideas for advanced surgical instruments and related technologies into our Surgical Robotics product development pipeline.
- Lead technical deliverables on early stage projects to identify the market opportunity and assess technical feasibility of new digitally enabled technology programs to integrate across a broad array of both software, hardware, and instrument solutions.
- Work with commercial teams to define the need, clinical relevance, and strategic drivers of potential product offerings.
- Collaborate with internal cross-functional teams and external partners to define and execute feasibility programs to answer key technical and business questions.
- Define next steps and future product development activities to transfer new programs into our new product development process.
- Effectively communicate opportunities, status, risks, and recommendations across organization.
Requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or a related science/engineering degree; an Advanced Degree is helpful.
Experience and Skills:
- Requires a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience
- Proven experience in medical device or other highly regulated product development lifecycle, from definition through commercialization
- Track record in R&D delivering solutions within a complex system architecture is desired
- Success working across organizational boundaries both internally (working with cross-functional teams) and externally (defining and managing external collaborations)
- Business maturity – ability to work in ambiguity, organize and define work outside of direct technical expertise, exercise independent judgement, define and manage risk, and translate clinical finding to inform project plans
- Understanding of the value drivers of surgical robotics, and ability to translate broad strategy to specific priorities
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact.
- Experience with 3D solid modeling is preferred
- Experience with MATLAB, LabVIEW, or Python is preferred
- Experience with electro-mechanical medical device definition, design, and commercialization, as well interfacing of disposable medical devices with reusable capital equipment.
- Experience with defining test acceptance criteria, developing test methods, and creating test protocols/reports
- Experience with design control activities and design history file implementation per FDA & CE mark standards for medical devices
- Experience defining and developing products containing software, firmware and electronics
Domestic and international travel of up to 30%
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)