Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Patent Counsel
Requisition ID: 4748181017
Johnson & Johnson Law Department is currently recruiting for a Senior Patent Counsel to primarily support the consumer sector of Johnson & Johnson. This role is located in New Brunswick, NJ, Skillman, NJ or Fort Washington, PA. You will report to an Assistant General Counsel – Patents.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $76.5 billion in 2017 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 265 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 126,500 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
- Provide a full range of patent support functions, including patent preparation and prosecution, freedom-to-operate studies (e.g., infringement and validity analysis), and client counseling.
- Draft and negotiate agreements, including license and research collaboration agreements.
- Provide due diligence support for business development activities.
- Have in-depth knowledge of competitive technologies in the consumer product space, as appropriate, including: baby, beauty, oral care, wound care, health and wellness, and over-the-counter (OTC) products.
- Support US and international litigation.
- Maintain relationships with external firms, partners and/or outside counsel.
- Make regular presentations, train and interact with the business about patents, other intellectual property, contracts, and due diligence matters.
- Work closely with business leaders and colleagues.
- An undergraduate or advanced degree in medical sciences, chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, bioengineering, pharmaceutical sciences, or biotechnology is required.
- A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school, admitted to the USPTO and licensed to practice in at least one state or the District of Columbia is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of law firm and/or corporate law department experience is required.
- Patent preparation and prosecution experience is required.
- Conducting patentability and non-infringement studies and rendering opinions is required.
- Experience in due diligence activities, license/agreement drafting, and contract negotiation is preferred.
- Background in consumer beauty, baby, health and wellness and/or OTC products is preferred.
- Experience with digital health technology is preferred (e.g., software, big data, data analytics, artificial intelligence and/or mobile device health applications).
- A demonstrated competency in the chemical, medical, biomedical, bioengineering or pharmaceutical sciences is required.
- The ability to articulate and positively engage clients and internal partners is required.
- The ability to give well organized and thoughtful presentations to upper management is required.
- A positive attitude, high emotional intelligence and the ability to work in a highly matrixed but rewarding business environment is required.
- This role requires travel up to 10% of the time both domestically and internationally.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-New Jersey-New Brunswick-One Johnson & Johnson Plaza
United States-New Jersey-Skillman, United States-Pennsylvania-Fort Washington
Johnson & Johnson (6067)