Johnson & Johnson Careers
SENIOR MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER, SURGICAL ROBOTICS
Requisition ID: 4729190205
Ethicon, is currently recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in its Digital Surgery, Robotics R&D group, located in Cincinnati, OH.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
Our Digital Surgery, Robotics R&D team of engineers, designers, and technical specialists are on the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market in support of the J&J / Google robotics venture.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer will work with internal and external teams to develop advanced robotic surgical instruments that will enable the future of minimally invasive surgery. This position will lead the definition, design, development, implementation, and integration of these key surgical instruments.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with internal and external customers, partners, and consultants to effectively communicate and deliver novel surgical instruments to market
- Conceptualize and craft unique tests to verify design requirements in a regulated environment
- Create robust documentation of medical device designs
- Contribute to a dynamic, fast-paced team and support the overall strategy for product testing and launch
- Integrate mechanical, electrical and software systems for new products and test methods
- Provide creative product, system, component and equipment design solutions
- Learn medical terminology, procedures, instrumentation, and the needs of physician customers
- Provide peer feedback and mentor junior associates as required
- Requirements rationale development
- Test design, verification, validation and execution
- Automated data processing
- Statistical techniques
- A BS (minimum) or MS (preferred) in Mechanical Engineering or a related science/engineering degree
- A minimum of 5 years mechanical product design-related experience, preferably in the medical device industry
- Experience with technical writing of test protocols and procedures, coordination of tests, analysis of results, and development of written reports
- Effective team and social skills
- Proven technical capabilities with experience working on a multi-functional team
- Experience with 3D modeling packages (NX10 preferred)
- Experience designing, developing, and launching medical products highly preferred
- Experience in a regulated environment, with basic knowledge and understanding of medical regulatory requirements highly preferred
- Data analysis experience with programming languages and applications (e.g., Python or Matlab)
- Experience applying statistical techniques to analyze data
- Conflict analysis and resolution skills
- Project management skills
- Knowledge of software engineering principles to test product design requirements is a plus
Additionally, the following skills are key to success in this position:
- Strong mechanical design and analysis skills, including an understanding of mechanical subsystem interface to overall system design
- Ability to develop and utilize 3D CAD models, FMEA’s, GD&T, tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE’s, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis
- Excellent collaboration and teaming skills to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design to Cost (DTC), and working with other team members and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the trade-offs and business impact
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices
- Building mechanical prototypes and fixtures for product and system testing, along with setting up and running laboratory simulations
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
- Deep understanding of design controls, quality systems, and regulatory requirements with the ability to develop and execute design plans
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)