Johnson & Johnson Careers
R&D Staff Design Engineer, Surgical Robotics
Requisition ID: 4707190118
Ethicon is currently recruiting for a R&D Staff Design Engineer, Surgical Robotics, located in Cincinnati, OH.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
In Surgical Robotics, the R&D Staff Design Engineer, Surgical Robotics is a technical leading position that represents an excellent opportunity for a candidate who is excited by building groundbreaking capabilities within a breadth of surgical robotic applications. You will be working in a Cross- functional environment of leadership across the global business. He or she will work closely with our internal R&D business leaders and with external development partners as well. You will support the design and development aspects of technically complex and unique global programs and projects, working within all phases of the product development process, and will organize, plan and execute programs and projects through product launch, commercialization. This person will act as a team leader and mentor leading cross-franchise and cross-functional teams as a subject matter expert.
The R&D Staff Design Engineer, Surgical Robotics role will focus on the R&D execution of advanced surgical devices for integration with the Robotics platform.
- This Staff Design Engineer, R&D, will work with internal and external teams to develop advanced surgical instruments.
- This position will lead the definition, design, development, implementation, and integration of these key surgical instruments.
- This individual must collaborate with internal and external customers, partners, and consultants to effectively communicate and deliver novel surgical instruments to market.
- A BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Electro-Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
The following skills are key to success in this position:
- A minimum of 7 years mechanical product design experience is required.
- Experience designing, developing, and launching medical products is highly preferred.
- Experience in a regulated environment is highly preferred.
- Strong mechanical design and analysis skills, including an understanding of mechanical subsystem interface to overall system design.
- The ability to develop and utilize 3D CAD models, FMEA’s, GD&T, tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE’s, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis.
- Excellent collaboration and teaming skills to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design to Cost (DTC), and working with other team members and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact.
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices, as well as the quality system / regulatory environment.
- Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations.
- Designing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
- Strong understand of design control; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)