Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Payroll Manager
Requisition ID: 4705190118
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies is currently recruiting for a Sr. Manager, Payroll Operations within the Johnson & Johnson Global Services organization. The position will be based in Tampa, FL
Caring for the world, one person at a time inspires and unites the people of Johnson & Johnson. We embrace research and science – bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. We have more than 275 operating companies in more than 60 countries, with more than 128,700 employees. Our worldwide headquarters is located in New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA. Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Johnson & Johnson Global Services, the global shared services organization supporting the businesses of Johnson & Johnson, performs select functional work in a consistent manner across regions and sectors using simplified, standardized end-to-end processes and state-of-the-art technology. The vision of Johnson & Johnson Global Services is “to be trusted business partners who deliver increasing value by creating and sustaining globally standard world-class services that enable the power of Johnson & Johnson.” There are more than 2,000 employees in Human Resources, Finance and Procurement who work for Johnson & Johnson Global Services in key service centers located in Manila, Suzhou, Prague, Bogota and Tampa, as well as in local country-based hubs.
The Senior Manager, Payroll Operations will oversee the day-to-day management of payroll operations including ownership of specific payroll processes, management of multiple payroll teams, delivering and monitoring service level agreements and key performance indicators in accordance with customer and affiliate expectations. The position reports to the Senior Director, North America Payroll Operations and will be responsible for: providing strategic input and direction; recommending and implementing best practices and continuous improvements; developing and mentoring team members, and collaborating with other Global Services functions especially Human Resources. The Senior Manager will spearhead the Payroll teams associated with the following functions: Time & Attendance, Payroll Processing, Payroll Tax, Special Projects, and Payroll Compliance that support over 40k US and Puerto Rico employees.
- Provide strategic planning and operational leadership and serve as a strategic partner.
- Provide oversight, direction, and leadership to broad scope multi-functional teams conducting payroll services.
- Develop, coach, and mentor staff to build a high-performance team. Set goals and facilitate growth and development to meet individualized employee career goals, motivational needs, and organizational opportunities.
- Formulate, recommend and implement multi-year strategic goals and objectives.
- Proactively mobilize payroll teams to develop approaches and action plans to address operational situations.
- Provide oversight of the activities of those responsible for ensuring that all work is performed in adherence to accepted industry standards, regulations and compliance requirements.
- Provide strong services and results with the ability to make decisions effectively with little guidance, if needed.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Develop and maintain strong financial, operational, and SOX controls.
- Proactively stay up-to-date on trends and developments within the payroll function, constantly researching and implementing best practices as appropriate.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism, ethics and confidentiality within Payroll.
- Create processes and procedures designed to improve and create efficiencies in Payroll.
- Develop and present policy recommendations and influence policy making decisions
- Implement policies and procedures to ensure accurate and timely delivery of employee services.
- Liaise with associated Global Services functions to discuss escalated issues, policies, and procedures; review service quality and metrics and implement improvements as necessary.
- Support all business initiatives and statutory requirements which necessitate support from payroll.
- Utilize metrics and tools to drive performance, identify trends, and develop/implement process improvements, addressing issues and proposing solutions as appropriate.
- Ensure adherence to department /functional budgets and efficient use of financial and human resources.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- Master’s Degree in Taxation, Finance, or Business Administration is preferred.
- At least ten (10) years payroll experience and at least a minimum of 7 years of management experience is required.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation preferred.
- Experience in a Shared Service Center environment is preferred.
- Strong project management, analytical and problem-solving skills required. Attention to detail a must.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of key state payroll laws and regulations; especially related to time and attendance and payroll tax withholdings.
- Strong technical knowledge and understanding of reference data elements, processes and organizational support models is required.
- A sense of urgency in solving processing issues to ensure timely resolution and an ability to work under pressure, multi-task, and meet deadlines is required.
- Strong leadership skills are required.
- Strong communication skills are required.
- Must have expert knowledge of payroll methods, best practices and compliance for a multi-states company.
- Ability to understand and navigate the complexities of operating in a matrix global framework, along with the capability to execute accurately in high stress/fast paced environment is required.
- Experience deploying highly visible projects is preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills is required.
- Working knowledge of Payroll and case management systems (ERP, SAP, etc.).
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Ability to translate vision, strategy and concepts into actionable goals and priorities, and to quickly assimilate information and synthesize information into insights, actions and results are required
- Strong ability to collaborate with and gain influence and respect of stakeholders and management is required.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time to domestic destinations is required.
Johnson & Johnson Services Inc. (6090)