Johnson & Johnson Careers
Staff Electrical Design Engineer, R&D, SURGICAL ROBOTICS
Requisition ID: 4641190118
The Ethicon is currently recruiting for a R&D Staff Electrical Design Engineer in our Surgical Robotics franchise, located in Cincinnati, OH.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The R&D Staff Electrical Design Engineer in Surgical Robotics is responsible for acting as an electrical / electro-mechanical experienced team member supporting and leading various assignments. This position you will lead the definition, design, development, implementation, and integration of the electrical aspects of key robotic surgical instruments.
- For Robotic Surgery, this represents an excellent opportunity for a candidate who is excited by building transformational surgical capabilities. You will be leading technical design and development across advanced sensing, communications, and system controls through applications of electrical / electro-mechanical technologies. This position holds accountability for our critical enabling technology programs, and will work closely with our internal R&D teams and with external development partners as well.
- Ultimately you will be a technical leader responsible for projects from conception through final execution, partnering with other core development teams including mechanical, biomedical, equipment/testing development, and clinical disciplines to integrate enabling technologies across a broad array of surgical solutions.
- He or she will design and implement project strategies, be a leader with any outside co-developers, lead and execute R&D projects.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related science/engineering degree is required.
- An Advanced Degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 7 years design-related experience is required.
- Experience in a regulated environment is highly preferred.
The following skills are key to success in this position:
- Experience designing, developing, and launching medical products.
- Strong electrical design and analysis skills, including an understanding of electrical systems and subsystem interface to overall system design. This will included digital, analog, and communications technologies. Knowledge of electronic manufacturing is also key to this role.
- Track record in R&D delivering solutions with complex system components and architecture is required.
- Ability to explain (both written and verbal) complex technical issues to quality engineers, marketers, and technical writers is required.
- Excellent collaboration and teaming skills to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design to Cost (DTC), and working with other team members and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact.
- Experience with defining test acceptance criteria, developing test methods, and creating test protocols/reports is required. Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations is desired.
- Experience leading design control activities and design history file implementation per FDA & CE mark standards for medical devices is desired.
- Experience with capital equipment and disposable medical devices is desired.
- Experience working with software, firmware and hardware is desired.
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices, as well as the quality system / regulatory environment is desired.
- Designing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
- Strong understand of design control; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation.
Do you strive to join an outstanding team that is dynamic and ever-changing? Is career growth and opportunity appealing to you? Apply to this opportunity today.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)