Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Principal Scientist, Biochemistry
Spring House, Pennsylvania
Requisition ID: 4585180618
Janssen Research and Development, L.L.C., a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Principal Scientist, Biochemistry to be located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
The new Lead Discovery team is a critical part of the Discovery Sciences organization in Janssen R&D and is committed to the delivery of high quality chemical leads needed for the generation of small molecule clinical compounds in all five Janssen Therapeutic Area discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular pharmacology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners.
The Screening department within Lead Discovery is growing with both new positions and capital investment. The department is responsible for the delivery of small-molecule qualified hits for the initiation of hit-to-lead programs within the Therapeutic Areas. Major activities include assay development, screening, and pharmacological profiling. The Screening Team collaborates closely with Janssen Therapeutic Areas and functional teams, the Innovation Centers, and external collaborators in academia and industry. We seek individuals with a strong ability to connect key stake holders for the delivery of goals and objectives, fostering an environment of collaboration, collegiality and positive communication, and who show superior performance in the context of a multidisciplinary, geographically disperse team.
The Senior Principal Scientist will:
· Lead the design and implementation of screening strategies that reflect the pharmacology to be modulated in subsequent hit-to-lead discovery programs.
· Provide scientific leadership to a team that develops biochemical assays that are suitable for automated high-throughput screening.
· Provide scientific leadership to a team that develops biophysical assays that are suitable for fragment screening and hit triage.
· Provide mentoring and career development leadership to direct reports and to others within the department as appropriate.
· Collaborate across multiple therapeutic and functional areas in the US, Europe and Asia.
· Develop innovative approaches to screening and hit triage.
· Attend in-house seminars and external scientific meetings as appropriate.
· Manage external collaborations.
· Publish research in high-quality journals as appropriate.
· PhD in biochemistry, biophysics, pharmacology or related areas is required
· Postdoctoral experience is preferred
· At least 12 years of industry experience in biochemical assay development in an HTS or in vitro pharmacology group is required
· Expertise with biochemical methods using such as FP, HTRF, luminescence and SPA is preferred
· Expertise with biophysical using biochemical methods such as SPR is preferred.
· Fragment screening experience is preferred
· Hit triage experience is preferred
· 8 years people management experience (supervising, coaching, mentoring) is required
· Publications in high-quality peer-reviewed journals are required
· Expertise in cardiovascular, immunology, infectious diseases, neuroscience or oncology therapeutic areas is preferred
· Experience working with and guiding external collaborators in industry or academia is preferred
· Travel up to 10% may be required.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)